Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Probably - few Middle Eastern countries allowed the women to go around Burkha-less or allowed Western products to be sold in their shops or non-religious literature to be sold.
    wasnt he replaced coz he was a tyrant??

ReputationRep:
    No, but it does mean they are moe of a threat than N.Korea.
    perhaps however it doesn't mean either of them are threat to us i mean we've got all the oil we need now!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool Lad)
    wasnt he replaced coz he was a tyrant??
    Yes - to the majority.

But to the minority he gave many civil and political freedoms. I'm not saying he was a good ruler, but he did ignore Islamic ideaology in many cases, whihc is why he was disliked by Bin Laden et al.

ReputationRep:
    Yes - to the majority.

But to the minority he gave many civil and political freedoms. I'm not saying he was a good ruler, but he did ignore Islamic ideaology in many cases, whihc is why he was disliked by Bin Laden et al.
    sounds like u approved of his rule?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    perhaps however it doesn't mean either of them are threat to us i mean we've got all the oil we need now!!!
    True.

ReputationRep:
    Yes - to the majority.

yes bin laden actually provided 100,000 troops in the first gulf war to fight against saddam and then the us told the world there were strong links between the two

ReputationRep:
    sounds like u approved of his rule?????
    I didn't, but either way you cannot deny that Iraq was the only Middle Eastern country to allow such a Western influence.

ReputationRep:
    True.
    very cinical

ReputationRep:
    It's fact. China has enough power to challenge the West.
    Its what makes the policy to reduce the armed forces ever more ridiculous, Geoff Hoon is employed to consider these possibilities and he is not doing so. Also Europe has next to no military power as such, we need the Americans to take charge for very minor wars such as in Yugoslavia. The welfare states we currently enjoy are all well and good but they wont provide much of a defence should a major war break out.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't, but either way you cannot deny that Iraq was the only Middle Eastern country to allow such a Western influence.
    that makes it all good??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Its what makes the policy to reduce the armed forces ever more ridiculous, Geoff Hoon is employed to consider these possibilities and he is not doing so. Also Europe has next to no military power as such, we need the Americans to take charge for very minor wars such as in Yugoslavia. The welfare states we currently enjoy are all well and good but they wont provide much of a defence should a major war break out.
    Wasn't that a NATO thing though. interestingly enough George Bush turned down NATO's pledge of unlimited aid or some such thing after 9/11, 2 years along the line what's he doing creating a coalition of the willing...

ReputationRep:
    very cinical
    I'm not saying I suppot the invasion of a country for oil, all I'm saying is it was probably a factor to the governments when they went to war.

ReputationRep:
    that makes it all good??
    For goodness sake hes said nothing of the sort, hes just pointing out the facts.

ReputationRep:
    that makes it all good??
    No, I've forgotten why we even started taling about this now, but I'm certainly not saying it was right.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying I suppot the invasion of a country for oil, all I'm saying is it was probably a factor to the governments when they went to war.
    u would hope not..........

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't that a NATO thing though. interestingly enough George Bush turned down NATO's pledge of unlimited aid or some such thing after 9/11, 2 years along the line what's he doing creating a coalition of the willing...
    Bush is a fool, but i feel this war of terror and the friction with Islamic states will be looked upon as comparitively minor when considered by historians, the major conflict is yet to come i feel.

ReputationRep:
    but deep down inside you do have some teensy suspiscion. I'm also disgusted at the way that so many american companies are getting the contracts to rebuild iraq

ReputationRep:
    But realistically, it was probably a factor, even if it was a small factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Bush is a fool, but i feel this war of terror and the friction with Islamic states will be looked upon as comparitively minor when considered by historians, the major conflict is yet to come i feel.
    what major conflict?

ReputationRep:
    but deep down inside you do have some teensy suspiscion. I'm also disgusted at the way that so many american companies are getting the contracts to rebuild iraq
    Halliburton's a favourite - **** Cheney used to be a board-member - even chairman?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.