Are my projects good enough to get into junior developer interviews?

University Navigation

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm seeking a junior Java, developer job.

So far these are the projects I have completed, which the first 6 are in Java:

1) Tennis game
    2) Space shooter game (5 classes)
    3) 2x REST API
    4) Car (200 lines of code)
    5) Person (200 lines of code)
    6) inventory management (3 classes)
    7) PHP stuff
    8) Website
    9) JavaScript projects (3 projects)

Will these projects as well as being proficient in JavaScript, PHP, JQuery,
    NodeJS allow me to get my foot through in the door for interviews?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they will get you an interview - no problem.

Without trying to sound insulting, is this your code - or code copied/pasted from elsewhere or written up directly from textbooks? An interviewer will likely ask you to sit a competency test to prove that the code you have claimed as your own was infact written by you. You would be surprised how many will clone a random github repo and claim it as their own under their own github user. If all this code is written by you and was developed by you, or in large part, you'll be fine and will most probably fly the interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Java7)
    I'm seeking a junior Java, developer job.

So far these are the projects I have completed, which the first 6 are in Java:

1) Tennis game
    2) Space shooter game (5 classes)
    3) 2x REST API
    4) Car (200 lines of good)
    5) Person (200 lines of code)
    6) inventory management (3 classes)
    7) PHP stuff
    8) Website
    9) JavaScript projects (3 projects)

Will these projects as well as being proficient in JavaScript, PHP, JQuery,
    NodeJS allow me to get my foot through in the door for interviews?

Thanks in advance
    I'm not an expert, but 4 and 5 don't really sound like projects, more examples of how to do OOP. Do they actually have a purpose? I probably wouldn't bother mentioning them on your application. The games sound good.

ReputationRep:
    Thank for the replies and advice.

These projects are done by myself. Good to know these projects will get an interview and I'll exclude 4 and 5.

I always thought to make a portfolio more attractive, develop more apps, video games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    I'm not an expert, but 4 and 5 don't really sound like projects, more examples of how to do OOP. Do they actually have a purpose? I probably wouldn't bother mentioning them on your application. The games sound good.
    Well spotted, yeah they do sound like typical Class-type examples for OOP. Probably not the sort of thing you can say is a working application, but good examples to keep in your back pocket if asked to explain an OOP construct like classes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, just make sure it's version controlled, on GitHub, portfolio website etc. and on your LinkedIn for networking. Your CV will be vital in terms of how it's presented and you'll need to include the links. A lot of companies to ask or will be interested in your code samples and approaches. You'll have plenty to discuss at interviews and with recruitment agencies.

Do NOT exclude anything, whomever said to do that doesn't have enough knowledge or experience of the industry. Include all that you've done - you have a varied set of experience which is an excellent point of discussion that will prove invaluable.

ReputationRep:
    All you need is 5-6 solid projects to be honest in that programming language.

If you're looking to get into Java, developing a few of android apps will help.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.