Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi all im in year 10 now and i am very tensed for my gcse exams ... im not good at academics and i need urgent tips on how to achieve either an a/a* in my exams. tnks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libra910)
    hi all im in year 10 now and i am very tensed for my gcse exams ... im not good at academics and i need urgent tips on how to achieve either an a/a* in my exams. tnks
    Work hard, watch revision videos do past papers and do the same ones over and again near mocks or the exams , don't hesitate to ask for help , do additional work at home
    For maths:
    Use hegarty maths and raw maths videos and use math genie topic
    And also ur school may give u a login for mathwatch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starlight2000)
    Work hard, watch revision videos do past papers and do the same ones over and again near mocks or the exams , don't hesitate to ask for help , do additional work at home
    For maths:
    Use hegarty maths and raw maths videos and use math genie topic
    And also ur school may give u a login for mathwatch
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Having just done GCSEs (9 A*s and 1A), my advise would be print off all the specifications for your GCSE content based subjects (such as biology, chemistry, physics etc) and start learning them now. They tell you exactly what you need to know and stop you going off on a tangent. Particularly with the sciences, I found that every exam question I answered was more or less just reciting a particular line from the specification.

For the more skills based subjects like maths, I would start doing lots of practise questions every week, rather than leaving everything late and finding that you did not understand something. It is better to understand something when you learn it rather that leaving it until revision.

Just note that there are a lot of changes to the GCSE system at the moment, so my advise may not be applicable to your situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunilP_123)
    Having just done GCSEs (9 A*s and 1A), my advise would be print off all the specifications for your GCSE content based subjects (such as biology, chemistry, physics etc) and start learning them now. They tell you exactly what you need to know and stop you going off on a tangent. Particularly with the sciences, I found that every exam question I answered was more or less just reciting a particular line from the specification.

For the more skills based subjects like maths, I would start doing lots of practise questions every week, rather than leaving everything late and finding that you did not understand something. It is better to understand something when you learn it rather that leaving it until revision.

Just note that there are a lot of changes to the GCSE system at the moment, so my advise may not be applicable to your situation.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    •Pay attention in class
    •Read ahead (Sunil's advice of getting the specification is great, so you know what to lear before your lesson - and you don't have to print it, you can just use the online version).
    •Do all of your homework
    •After knowing the material, try past paper questions (for sciences and maths, the spec may have changed but the basic theory is the same and will stay the same).
    •Use flashcards or flashcard apps (like tiny cards or anki)to memorize the key facts.
    And that should be enough to guarantee a good grade.
    Oh and if you don't understand something, always ask your teacher (during lesson or after lesson)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asinghj)
    •Pay attention in class
    •Read ahead (Sunil's advice of getting the specification is great, so you know what to lear before your lesson - and you don't have to print it, you can just use the online version).
    •Do all of your homework
    •After knowing the material, try past paper questions (for sciences and maths, the spec may have changed but the basic theory is the same and will stay the same).
    •Use flashcards or flashcard apps (like tiny cards or anki)to memorize the key facts.
    And that should be enough to guarantee a good grade.
    Oh and if you don't understand something, always ask your teacher (during lesson or after lesson)

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Wing it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't revise- worked with me!

ReputationRep:
    Seriously though...

For maths do every single past paper available! Also watch videos like corbett maths, hegarty maths.
    For english make mind maps on the different books/plays. Link ideas together. If you're naturally gifted at English and are a good writer then you probably don't need to do much.
    For science watch videos and make notes- gcse science and free science lessons are very good websites. If you're doing AQA double/triple award science then use the spec- it is very useful! Then do loads of past papers; science and maths are subjects in which the questions are pretty much different versions of other previous questions.

For languages use flashcards if you want to. I never did, but lots of people found useful for vocab. Then do past papers- especially listening papers as generally they are harder and you get used to hearing that language being spoken.
    For humanity subjects and business studies you can use flash cards- basically anything with key terms that you need to know.
    For essay subjects you must practice your exam technique through mock papers/past papers so you know what the examiner is looking for. Examiners reports are also very, very useful.

And if you do religious studies, I'm pretty sure you can wing it!

Best of luck for the rest of yr 11, it will fly by!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler: show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    Seriously though...

For maths do every single past paper available! Also watch videos like corbett maths, hegarty maths.
    For english make mind maps on the different books/plays. Link ideas together. If you're naturally gifted at English and are a good writer then you probably don't need to do much.
    For science watch videos and make notes- gcse science and free science lessons are very good websites. If you're doing AQA double/triple award science then use the spec- it is very useful! Then do loads of past papers; science and maths are subjects in which the questions are pretty much different versions of other previous questions.

For languages use flashcards if you want to. I never did, but lots of people found useful for vocab. Then do past papers- especially listening papers as generally they are harder and you get used to hearing that language being spoken.
    For humanity subjects and business studies you can use flash cards- basically anything with key terms that you need to know.
    For essay subjects you must practice your exam technique through mock papers/past papers so you know what the examiner is looking for. Examiners reports are also very, very useful.

And if you do religious studies, I'm pretty sure you can wing it!

Best of luck for the rest of yr 11, it will fly by!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler: show
    thank you so much this was really helpful!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.