Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternau)
    You're saying that there are differences in quality, but play them down with tutors’ preferences; then you argue that, although the quality of accepted candidates may be different on average, it does not affect results. So you say that if the same bunch of applicants were presented to a different set of tutors, admissions would be very much different?!?
    Yes. Not wildly, I'm sure a lot of the same people would get in - but there are plenty of people who might be considered borderline. And yes, I don't think that you can judge how someone will do in 3 years time based upon how they perform at interview: there are too many variables to affect their performance.

ReputationRep:
    I got pooled to Merton. Guess that's a bit of a break from the norm if they're so big on sendning candidates to other colleges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherunsaway)
    I got pooled to Merton. Guess that's a bit of a break from the norm if they're so big on sendning candidates to other colleges.

Yes, indeed it is...

The key phrase which me and Sternau keep (or should keep:p: ) banging on about is on average. When you bear that phrase in mind, arguments like this:

(Original post by Bekaboo)
    Yes. Not wildly, I'm sure a lot of the same people would get in - but there are plenty of people who might be considered borderline. And yes, I don't think that you can judge how someone will do in 3 years time based upon how they perform at interview: there are too many variables to affect their performance.
    become crazy. Yes there are a lot of variable in interview performance, yes some people wouldn't get in at a different college, yes you can't judge exactly how well someone will do in three years time...

but ON AVERAGE, all that cancels out! And getting in to your first choice college means you are more likely to be stronger than someone who has been pooled. This is is NO WAY a hard and fast rule, there will be a lot of overlap - but ON AVERAGE it is almost trivially true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherunsaway)
    Not for Music, which is an exceptional subject because the 3 choral foundations (Magdalen, Chist Church, New) are very over-subscribed, Queens and Worcester similarly, and following on from that are the colleges with choral/organ scholarships. Merton haven't yet started their choral scholarships, which is why they accept pooled candidates more frequently than you might expect, and get fewer applications per place than for other subjects.
    It's also worth considering that there are normally only 1/2 places for Music at a college, so the numbers applying to 'normal' colleges (not the 5 mentioned above which accept 4/5) are quite sporadic.

ReputationRep:
    - Merton does get poolees, every College does
    - Chloe, I really don't think you understand E&M teaching so please stop banging on about Merton getting more essays. We simply structure them differently (4 600 word essays vs. 2 2000 word essays at other Colleges). Every College teaches E&M and PPE differently, in terms of essays set, and it's often really up to up how much you want to do.
    - Merton, Balliol, Magdalen, St John's are Oxford's best Colleges, academically. They've all performed consistently well across a number of years, and they all pool large numbers of students to other College successfully.
    - While tutor's preferences do account for a slim minority, no tutor is going to pool a more outstanding student if there were substantial differences in their academic potential - it will only be in borderline cases that personality will really affect anything.

Happy to answer questions about E&M in general, and at Merton. sternau is also going to be a Merton E&Mist, but he's still a bit idealistic about everything and everyone. So, if you have any questions, PM sternau first and he'll pass it your questions on if it's a toughie.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.