Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Say something positive about the opposing party. watch

ReputationRep:
    Just a little compliment about the party that is on the other wing. It won't hurt you.

ReputationRep:
    for many years in the 20th Century the Labour party represented the needs of hard working people.

ReputationRep:
    Half the Tories aren't crooks.

Spoiler:
    Show
    But seriously, there are good and bad people in all parties, I just happen to think the Tories are the most morally corrupt. They say one thing and mean another, their own image is more important than effectively running the country.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    David Cameron supported the introduction of gay marriage despite more of his own Conservative MP's voted against it then for it. He also apologized for earlier Thatcher-era policies on homosexuality, which he described as a "mistake".

ReputationRep:
    I do t have a party as such so instead I'll pick out people who I dislike

Jeremy Corbyn- was very good on PMQs this week (though this could be indicative of how poor May was )

John McDonnell/ Caroline Lucas - are the only politicians I know advocating universal income which I am a big advocate of.

Nigel Farage- I know a lot of eurosceptics have downplayed his role but I do think without him the Ezu referendum would not have happened and he has more or less shaped for better or worse the UK in the 21st century more than anyone in a very long time- all this whilst never being elected as an MP. Is sn impressive speaker.

Alex Salmond- very charismatic, strong personality.

Theresa May: isn't completely mental

Boris Johnson- born entertainer, he's just funny to watch. If he'd have stayed clear of politics and done something like Top Gear he'd be a national treasure. Rees Mogg falls somewhere into this category too although he's a lot more principled (other than the odd bit of bribery) and a lot less egotistical.

Tim Farron- Does actually seem very likeable and is an excellent constituency MP.

Dianne Abbot- is satisfyingly fun to hate .
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well, they're making winning elections easy.

ReputationRep:
    The Labour Party: Have some very decent moderates and centrists within them who I'd far sooner align with than some of the fringes of my own party (that is, the Conservatives).

Since I'm from Scotland, I suppose I should also say something nice about the SNP. I think it's positive that they've rarely delved into ethnic or racial nationalism and actually frame their nationalism in terms of an identity that anyone can be part of. It's still exclusive and it's still wrong, but it's avoided that particular type of horribleness.

ReputationRep:
    Caroline Lucas is a genuinely good person and she was a star for disassociating herself with those mental cases in the Stop The War Coalition. I have a lot of respect for her*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    The Labour Party: Have some very decent moderates and centrists within them who I'd far sooner align with than some of the fringes of my own party (that is, the Conservatives).

Since I'm from Scotland, I suppose I should also say something nice about the SNP. I think it's positive that they've rarely delved into ethnic or racial nationalism and actually frame their nationalism in terms of an identity that anyone can be part of. It's still exclusive and it's still wrong, but it's avoided that particular type of horribleness.
    Who's your favourite Labour MP and least favourite Tory MP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Caroline Lucas is a genuinely good person and she was a star for disassociating herself with those mental cases in the Stop The War Coalition. I have a lot of respect for her*
    I cannot tell if you're being serious or not!

ReputationRep:
    you can't say labour don't try

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Labour for having an unelectable leader and therefore helping us to win the next election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    I cannot tell if you're being serious or not!
    I am 100% serious and earnest there! Why did it seem otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    I am 100% serious and earnest there! Why did it seem otherwise?
    I wouldn't have thought you and Caroline Lucas shared much ground.

I actually find it difficult to determine where you stand politically and ideologically. While it's clear you dislike the current labour party, you don't seem like a hardened tory, nor a Kipper (with your support of the eu).

Where do you stand?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    The kippers and Tories keep their values to heart and always put them first when making decisions.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have thought you and Caroline Lucas shared much ground.

I actually find it difficult to determine where you stand politically and ideologically. While it's clear you dislike the current labour party, you don't seem like a hardened tory, nor a Kipper (with your support of the eu).

Where do you stand?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well the question in the OP was to praise an opposition figure. I am opposed in general to Lucas's politics but I have respect for her.

As for your question, I don't support any particular party though I usually vote Lib Dem, despite disagreements with some of their policies. I take issues on a case-by-case basis. I think a common trap is for people to say "well I'm left/right wing so therefore I'll be left/right wing for this issue or that issue. I don't think people consciously do this but they do it none the less. I support the least awful, though I fully believe that, on the whole, politicians are in it for the right reasons and I believe politics is truly the arena where people can walk tall and stand for what's right. I just don't happen to fully agree with many of them at this point in time!

I am a supporter for individual rights and also feminism and LGBT rights and causes and I am against those who wish to abuse this, no matter what their affiliation or religion. I find the modern left have lost sight of this. I also abhor the identity politics that has been adopted by many. I also believe very strongly in equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome. Back everybody fully in their chances in life and allow them to fly.

On the flip side I find hardcore libertarians to be preposterous. The notion that society doesn't (or ought not to) exist is disturbing. But if yoy really want to help people, often the best thing do is leave them alone, get out their way and let them do it themselves. I've seen with my own eyes growing up the devastating effect that well-intentioned policies towards the less well-off can have on their lives and their futures in the culture these policies inadvertently create. Having said that, by reversing some of this, the current government have used a hammer to crack a nut and disabled people (the ones that are actually disabled, anyway) are getting a hard deal. The welfare policies needed to be altered but they've ballsed it up in my view.

In terms of foreign policy, I obviously have the opposite view to people like Corbyn. Inaction for the sake of it is horrible. I've explained in detail exactly why and examples to showcase this. I find the views espoused by the Stop The War Coalition to be nothing short of disgusting, which is why I support Caroline Lucas in disassociating herself from that odious lot.

I find these sorts of people have a paradigm of being anti-British. How everything is Britain/the west's fault, how we must always have a sense of guilt and shame and how the country is always automatically the cause of everything bad. I'm not born in Britain but even I find that to be deluded and obnoxious. I've stated on here before that I believe it to be very dangerous to elect to power people this paradigm. They will never act in the interests of the country. And make no mistake about: Britain certainly deserves to have the word "great" in front of it,

As for the EU, I don't see that as a left/right wing issue since if you're very much of either, you're going to find fundamental fault with it, hence Tony Benn (and let's face it, Corbyn) and Daniel Hannan are all against it. I favour it because, pragmatically, the benefits definitely outweigh the cons. Plus I am entirely unconvinced by the alternatives proposed.....whatever the hell they are....

*Anyway, to conclude, I'm an issue-by-issue man. People might call my views on some issues positively right-wing and possibly left-wing on other things.*

Hope this helps *

ReputationRep:
    Who's your favourite Labour MP and least favourite Tory MP?
    Probably Hilary Benn or Alan Johnson, both decent speakers, can connect with people and come across as reasonable types.

Least favourite Tory? There's a few. Bill Cash? Peter Bone? That sort of tedious, grey, feckless old fool is tempting to pick. I'm afraid it's probably going to have to be Nadine Dorries though, as I'm genuinely amazed she's an MP - a real embarrassment to the party.

ReputationRep:
    Well the question in the OP was to praise an opposition figure. I am opposed in general to Lucas's politics but I have respect for her.

As for your question, I don't support any particular party though I usually vote Lib Dem, despite disagreements with some of their policies. I take issues on a case-by-case basis. I think a common trap is for people to say "well I'm left/right wing so therefore I'll be left/right wing for this issue or that issue. I don't think people consciously do this but they do it none the less. I support the least awful, though I fully believe that, on the whole, politicians are in it for the right reasons and I believe politics is truly the arena where people can walk tall and stand for what's right. I just don't happen to fully agree with many of them at this point in time!

I am a supporter for individual rights and also feminism and LGBT rights and causes and I am against those who wish to abuse this, no matter what their affiliation or religion. I find the modern left have lost sight of this. I also abhor the identity politics that has been adopted by many. I also believe very strongly in equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome. Back everybody fully in their chances in life and allow them to fly.

On the flip side I find hardcore libertarians to be preposterous. The notion that society doesn't (or ought not to) exist is disturbing. But if yoy really want to help people, often the best thing do is leave them alone, get out their way and let them do it themselves. I've seen with my own eyes growing up the devastating effect that well-intentioned policies towards the less well-off can have on their lives and their futures in the culture these policies inadvertently create. Having said that, by reversing some of this, the current government have used a hammer to crack a nut and disabled people (the ones that are actually disabled, anyway) are getting a hard deal. The welfare policies needed to be altered but they've ballsed it up in my view.

In terms of foreign policy, I obviously have the opposite view to people like Corbyn. Inaction for the sake of it is horrible. I've explained in detail exactly why and examples to showcase this. I find the views espoused by the Stop The War Coalition to be nothing short of disgusting, which is why I support Caroline Lucas in disassociating herself from that odious lot.

I find these sorts of people have a paradigm of being anti-British. How everything is Britain/the west's fault, how we must always have a sense of guilt and shame and how the country is always automatically the cause of everything bad. I'm not born in Britain but even I find that to be deluded and obnoxious. I've stated on here before that I believe it to be very dangerous to elect to power people this paradigm. They will never act in the interests of the country. And make no mistake about: Britain certainly deserves to have the word "great" in front of it,

As for the EU, I don't see that as a left/right wing issue since if you're very much of either, you're going to find fundamental fault with it, hence Tony Benn (and let's face it, Corbyn) and Daniel Hannan are all against it. I favour it because, pragmatically, the benefits definitely outweigh the cons. Plus I am entirely unconvinced by the alternatives proposed.....whatever the hell they are....

*Anyway, to conclude, I'm an issue-by-issue man. People might call my views on some issues positively right-wing and possibly left-wing on other things.*

Hope this helps *
    I don't disagree with any of that really. Always had you down as a soft tory who would have probably voted Blair so i'm surprised that you voted lib dems.

Whilst I may disagree with you on various issues, I do respect that you really do decided each issue on its merits rather than looking at it through a right or left wing lens.

ReputationRep:
    The SNP is helping to keep Labour out of power. Also like to thank John McDonnell for his services to the Conservative Party.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.