Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna give my GCSEs in 2017 and I need motivation. For my unit tests in school I usually study a day or two before the exam and end up getting an A or a B. Although I can't do that during my GCSEs. Help!!!

ReputationRep:
    You have to get in the rhythm of revision. Don't try and do hours upon hours in one go, maybe start with only half an hour or so and try and do that regularly, and you can keep increasing it until you're doing a good amount of revision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordanshelley97)
    You have to get in the rhythm of revision. Don't try and do hours upon hours in one go, maybe start with only half an hour or so and try and do that regularly, and you can keep increasing it until you're doing a good amount of revision
    Thank you so much for the advice!!! I really needed that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelin Ravi)
    I'm gonna give my GCSEs in 2017 and I need motivation. For my unit tests in school I usually study a day or two before the exam and end up getting an A or a B. Although I can't do that during my GCSEs. Help!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaK...Qc8t6GzFj1_TDw

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!!!
    YW
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jordanshelley97)
    Don't even bother with half an hour. Start with 5 or 10 minutes. Wake up and while you're eating breakfast look over some revision.

In most cases, doing more than half an hour is pointless. Many people lose concentration after half an hour. Unless you're totally invested stick to 15-25 minute sessions with plenty of breaks. Naturally if you're in the groove just carry on though. Be flexible about it.

You also don't have to dedicate time to doing revision specifically. Rather than saying you'll do an hour a day place notes in areas you frequent. If you're looking at your phone a lot for example set your wallpaper or lockscreen as a something to revise. Keep changing it so you don't get used to it.

Revision doesn't have to be sitting staring at notes for hours on end. Do anything you like that helps you remember.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Don't even bother with half an hour. Start with 5 or 10 minutes. Wake up and while you're eating breakfast look over some revision.

In most cases, doing more than half an hour is pointless. Many people lose concentration after half an hour. Unless you're totally invested stick to 15-25 minute sessions with plenty of breaks. Naturally if you're in the groove just carry on though. Be flexible about it.

You also don't have to dedicate time to doing revision specifically. Rather than saying you'll do an hour a day place notes in areas you frequent. If you're looking at your phone a lot for example set your wallpaper or lockscreen as a something to revise. Keep changing it so you don't get used to it.

Revision doesn't have to be sitting staring at notes for hours on end. Do anything you like that helps you remember.
    Thank you so much for the advice I'll try it!!! Once I've tried for 5-15 minutes how much do I increases the amount of revision time and when?

ReputationRep:
    Forget about revising right now, stop thinking 'if I don't get A's, im a failure' etc...
    Take 10mins out in a quiet place and just imagine what you want in life, what you want to do for a career, what you want do study for a-levels, what kind of a life you want to live and what kind of friends you want.

When you picture your dream scenario, know that it all starts now, the difference between getting that university place or job in the future starts now. And to achieve those, you need to work hard and when you work hard, the rewards will come flooding in.

You need to get in that mindset of aiming high, the only person to truly tell you that you can't do something is you, is just a constant mind-game with yourself.
    You are going to achieve amazing, incredible things, but it to do that, you need to smash those exams by studying like you've never done before.
    Just do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ua3142)
    Forget about revising right now, stop thinking 'if I don't get A's, im a failure' etc...
    Take 10mins out in a quiet place and just imagine what you want in life, what you want to do for a career, what you want do study for a-levels, what kind of a life you want to live and what kind of friends you want.

When you picture your dream scenario, know that it all starts now, the difference between getting that university place or job in the future starts now. And to achieve those, you need to work hard and when you work hard, the rewards will come flooding in.

You need to get in that mindset of aiming high, the only person to truly tell you that you can't do something is you, is just a constant mind-game with yourself.
    You are going to achieve amazing, incredible things, but it to do that, you need to smash those exams by studying like you've never done before.
    Just do it

Thank you so much I really needed someone to say this!!! I cannot thank you enough
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thank you so much for the advice I'll try it!!! Once I've tried for 5-15 minutes how much do I increases the amount of revision time and when?
    Whatever you feel comfortable with, it varies from person to person. I know people that can sit for ages doing work and others who have to do 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off.

If you feel yourself losing focus that's when to take a break. That might be after 10 minutes or an hour.

I don't recommend doing more than half an hour without some sort of break. And if you find yourself stuck doing 10 minute stints that's totally fine. Do whatever works for you.

As far as when to increase, that depends on your workload and exams. As you have more work you'll have more to revise. As exams come up you'll have more to revise. Again do what works for you.

I also recommend setting aside time at the weekend or after each day to revise that weeks/days content. Revising it as you do and throughout he year will lessen the load nearer exams and help cement the content in the long run

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Whatever you feel comfortable with, it varies from person to person. I know people that can sit for ages doing work and others who have to do 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off.

If you feel yourself losing focus that's when to take a break. That might be after 10 minutes or an hour.

I don't recommend doing more than half an hour without some sort of break. And if you find yourself stuck doing 10 minute stints that's totally fine. Do whatever works for you.

As far as when to increase, that depends on your workload and exams. As you have more work you'll have more to revise. As exams come up you'll have more to revise. Again do what works for you.

I also recommend setting aside time at the weekend or after each day to revise that weeks/days content. Revising it as you do and throughout he year will lessen the load nearer exams and help cement the content in the long run
    Thank you !!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.