Can an 18 year old do an Access to HE Diploma course?

    • Thread Starter

    I have 4 AS levels (BCDE) but left after completing them to pursue a career as a chef so do not have full A levels. Since then i have done an NVQ level 2 course and am starting an NVQ Level 3 course however i am beginning to get cold feet and am considering going to Uni to study criminology. If i wanted could i take an Access to HE Diploma in Psychology as im 18? and would i be able to get into Uni with this? thanks

    It depends on your circumstances, really. I'm currently going into my third year of university studying Psychology and I did an evening PHE (Preparation for Higher Education) course at 19 so it is possible, but I would recommend sending an email over to the department and explaining your current situation to get a definite answer. If you're getting cold feet about your initial career choice though, consider carefully whether this is the right choice for you. Even with assistance, the PHE course I did cost in the region of £2500 and if you continue your yearly course cost is likely to be £9000. I have had friends who passed the PHE course and dropped out in their first year of their degree, amassing around £7000 debt for no reason (although they have since restarted on another course and are loving it). Really consider if this is right for you before you make any decisions. I don't believe there would be any harm in completing your NVQ Level 3 first, but check with the university.

    I was 18 turning 19 when I started. The youngest on my course. I am now in second year.

    Posted from TSR Mobile

    Really depends on the college and/or your circumstances.

    My college will accept 18 year olds with special circumstances - the only 18 year old on my course has a 6-month-old, which means that doing college two days a week is more appropriate for her than three or four days a week.

    Some colleges will only accept those who are 19+

    Do some research, phone the college you want to attend, try to speak a tutor from the course maybe.

    And yes, you could get into uni with an Access to HE diploma (:

    I am currently doing an access course in psychology and human biology and my college only accepts 19+
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Which is the best season?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.