Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have 4 AS levels (BCDE) but left after completing them to pursue a career as a chef so do not have full A levels. Since then i have done an NVQ level 2 course and am starting an NVQ Level 3 course however i am beginning to get cold feet and am considering going to Uni to study criminology. If i wanted could i take an Access to HE Diploma in Psychology as im 18? and would i be able to get into Uni with this? thanks

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your circumstances, really. I'm currently going into my third year of university studying Psychology and I did an evening PHE (Preparation for Higher Education) course at 19 so it is possible, but I would recommend sending an email over to the department and explaining your current situation to get a definite answer. If you're getting cold feet about your initial career choice though, consider carefully whether this is the right choice for you. Even with assistance, the PHE course I did cost in the region of £2500 and if you continue your yearly course cost is likely to be £9000. I have had friends who passed the PHE course and dropped out in their first year of their degree, amassing around £7000 debt for no reason (although they have since restarted on another course and are loving it). Really consider if this is right for you before you make any decisions. I don't believe there would be any harm in completing your NVQ Level 3 first, but check with the university.

ReputationRep:
    I was 18 turning 19 when I started. The youngest on my course. I am now in second year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really depends on the college and/or your circumstances.

My college will accept 18 year olds with special circumstances - the only 18 year old on my course has a 6-month-old, which means that doing college two days a week is more appropriate for her than three or four days a week.

Some colleges will only accept those who are 19+

Do some research, phone the college you want to attend, try to speak a tutor from the course maybe.

And yes, you could get into uni with an Access to HE diploma (:

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing an access course in psychology and human biology and my college only accepts 19+

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.