Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR legends
    I was just wondering whether you could help me with some questions about Oxford. Firstly, which college should I go to? My grandfather went to New college (I am NOT trying to say will they be more lenient because I am related to a graduate XD), and so I am kind of interested in New college, but the subject I want to do is History, so should I try to apply to Magdalen or Ballilol instead? Does it matter? Also, are my grades good enough? (8A*s, 2 As and a C (computer science, fml)). I have heard that those grades are only "average", and so I am worried:/. I am now doing English, History, French and Economics, and I plan to try for 3-4 A*s. Plz halp?
    Pepe for your thoughts:
    Name:  Pepe-The-Frog-Happy-02.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  73.3 KB
    Duck (Simon)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duck10101)
    Hey TSR legends
    I was just wondering whether you could help me with some questions about Oxford. Firstly, which college should I go to? My grandfather went to New college (I am NOT trying to say will they be more lenient because I am related to a graduate XD), and so I am kind of interested in New college, but the subject I want to do is History, so should I try to apply to Magdalen or Ballilol instead? Does it matter? Also, are my grades good enough? (8A*s, 2 As and a C (computer science, fml)). I have heard that those grades are only "average", and so I am worried:/. I am now doing English, History, French and Economics, and I plan to try for 3-4 A*s. Plz halp?
    Pepe for your thoughts:
    Name:  Pepe-The-Frog-Happy-02.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  73.3 KB
    Duck (Simon)
    Where you apply doesn't effect the quality of your education. Some of your papers will be taught within college, such as Disciplines of History, Historiography, or Approaches to History. These papers are about historical methodology and thus all tutors are well qualified to lead these papers. However, many of your other papers (European and World History, History of the British Isles, Optional Subject, Further Subject, Special Subject, Thesis etc.) will be taught at different colleges - depending on the location of the experts. I've had tutorials at Mansfield, Jesus, St Antony's, Somerville, Worcester and Wadham.

That said, it's not worth applying to a particular college because of the research interests of the staff... Staff often leave, have children, move houses, or go on sabbatical.*Apply to the college that you love, thinking about location, facilities, and size.

Trust me when I say that you will never be working at a level where you feel like your tutor is dragging you down - you'll most likely spend most of your degree feeling stretched.

Your GCSEs and predicted A-Levels are fine - about par. It's much more important to perform well in the HAT and in your interviews. These are the elements that set you apart from the other 1200+ applicants in the field, all of whom will be predicted at least AAA+ (the average A-Level results of an Oxford history student is A*A*A).*

Also, there is absolutely no way that you'll be given preferential treatment because you have a graduate of the college in your family... Many applicants have relatives who have gone to Oxford, so much so that there still wouldn't be space for you all. Also, the chances of the admissions tutors actually remembering your grandfather's name is very thin, the academics who taught him would most likely have left.

For reference, I'm a third year History student at Worcester College - feel free to ask me any questions.

ReputationRep:
    colourtheory
    I am very sorry, I sounded like a cocky idiot just then.
    I meant that I understood that even though my grandfather went to New College, it wouldn't affect whether I got in or not. I meant rather that it would affect my choicr of college.
    Can I PM you at any time please (within reason of course)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duck10101)
    colourtheory
    I am very sorry, I sounded like a cocky idiot just then.
    I meant that I understood that even though my grandfather went to New College, it wouldn't affect whether I got in or not. I meant rather that it would affect my choicr of college.
    Can I PM you at any time please (within reason of course)!
    You can PM whenever, though I'm very busy from early October so I can't guarantee that I'll get back to you after then

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't really matter. But you may want to choose:

St Edmund Hall - oldest college, oldest academic society that houses and teachers undergraduates

Merton College - oldest library room in the world

Wadham College - the music room within its ground is the oldest purpose-built music room in the world

Christ Church - oldest protest graffiti in the world

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 16, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.