Turn on thread page Beta

Top unis for ratio of applications to places watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we have had this information on forum for this year's applications.

Maybe Pencil Queen can help out with the figures.

I'm asking about the overall figures of total applications to total places available, not subject wise.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what the ratios are or anything, but I know that Manchester had more applications than any other University (according to the Times anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenna999)
    I don't know what the ratios are or anything, but I know that Manchester had more applications than any other University (according to the Times anyway).
    Hmm...thanks for that but it does not indicate popularity of Manchester above others as Manchester may be much bigger and have more capacity for students than others.

To get a true picture we need to know how many places available in addition to number of applicants.

ReputationRep:
    I think Nottingham has been top most frequently for number of applications.

ReputationRep:
    I've done a quick trawl through the Sunday Times publication for 2003 (2004 are perhaps not published yet) and the results are:

LSE 11.5 applicants to each place
    Bristol 11.3
    Warwick 9.2
    Nottingham 8.9
    York 8.9
    Bath 8.6
    St. Andrews 8.2
    Bolton 8.1
    City Uni. 8.1
    Edinburgh 7.8
    Then Brunel, Manchester, UCL, Sheffield and Southampton all on 7.1

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a suprise for the eight most popular uni :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Bolton is very small, and have a very very wide amount of people applying often with no qualifications at all. Therefore a lot of unsuitable people apply hence the high applications per place.

It is actually quite easy to get into, my mate had an DD offer for a computing degree, he declined and decided it was better if he just got a job.

Its probably quite popular because the local area is quite poor so people who live in that area can't afford to travel far to university.

This is the only explantion I can think of anyway, unless Bolton is such a wonderful town and I missed somthing :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    But bear in mind that most people make 6 applications. So most unis are going to have 6 applications per place aren't they? It doesn't mean there are 6 students per place.

Lots of people might apply to Bolton because they ask for low grades. But many students get higher grades and go elsewhere.

Are there any stats for acceptances per offer? I mean out of all the students a uni offers a place to, how many students reject them and go elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    I have always thought that Leeds is the most popular uni in the country.

http://www.studentinfor.bizland.com/popularuni.chtml

....although that table doesn't seem to take into consideration the number of places available, and it is a little dated (2001).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    Bit of a suprise for the eight most popular uni :eek:
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    I have always thought that Leeds is the most popular uni in the country.
    Leeds was last year but now with the UMIST/Uni of Manchester merger I think its Manchester that gets the most applications overall..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Why?
    It looks a little out of place amongst LSE, Nottingham, Warwick, York, Durham etc

The key to interpreting these figures is to know that they concearn applicants per PLACE. If the university offers only a few places / limited number of courses then thier ratio will be significantly increased (i.e. LSE).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    It looks a little out of place amongst LSE, Nottingham, Warwick, York, Durham etc
    But maybe some of the better (eg Oxbridge) unis get less apllications because people think they are less likely to get in. Some less prestigious institutions may get more applicants because their entry grades are lower..

ReputationRep:
    Oh, apparently now Nottingham is the most popular...

http://www.studentbmj.com/back_issue.../news/94a.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyballerina)
    But bear in mind that most people make 6 applications. So most unis are going to have 6 applications per place aren't they? It doesn't mean there are 6 students per place.

Lots of people might apply to Bolton because they ask for low grades. But many students get higher grades and go elsewhere.

Are there any stats for acceptances per offer? I mean out of all the students a uni offers a place to, how many students reject them and go elsewhere?
    Thats very true, I know at least 6 people who applied to Bolton and declined their offer.

And I assume (PQ help me out here) that applications include the ones were people turn down an offer as well.

ReputationRep:
    But maybe some of the better (eg Oxbridge) unis get less apllications because people think they are less likely to get in. Some less prestigious institutions may get more applicants because their entry grades are lower..
    Yep you're probably right, just when i was glancing through the list i di dhave to do a double take...

EDIT - I just found this which seems to give a fairly good explanation

'This Institution-wide indicator ignores the fact that the figures can be distorted by the presence of subjects which are hard to get into such as Medicine and Veterinary Medicine. Students recognise this and there tend to be fewer applications per place. There are other subject mix considerations e.g. in general there are fewer applications per place in science subjects.
    Students tend to recognise institutions which are hard to get into, leading to fewer applications per place for these. For example while the top institution on this measure attracts 27.69 applications per place the Imperial College, UCL and Cambridge each have less than 5 applications per place. It seems bizarre to argue that an institution with over 25 applications per place is worth five times as much on this measure as these three institutions.'

ReputationRep:
    Do you really live in Moscow, Cossack?

Здравствуйте!

ReputationRep:
    Do you really live in Moscow, Cossack?

Здравствуйте!
    da ya jivu isdyies .... ve gavirem par ruski? (sorry cant be bothered to put the cyrillics on)

ReputationRep:
    the ratio of applicants and the number of applicants are different things. Manchester will be huge when it merges but may not have the highest ratio.

Also the ucas figures only apply to ucas applications, so people doing for example, a part time degree sponsered by their employer won't show up on the ucas figures.

Some courses can increase the number of places if there a more than usual applicants other can't, this can be for any number of reasons eg the course involves lab / practical sessions so numbers are limmited or the course is mainly lectures so can take as many people as will fit into a lecture theatre.

I don't know how you would get a 'pure' number of applicants per place.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.