Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What comes up in the exam.... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know this might seem dumb, but i've just started Year 10 and decided to look up past papers. On there I saw the first question included atomic structure (which we haven't been learning at the moment) . Anyways i wanted to know how much of what we learnt in year 7,8 and 9 comes up in the exam? And if we will ever revisit the topics we learnt in the recent years?

ReputationRep:
    for me hardly anything (from year 8 and 7), I think some of the basics of chemistry you should know like MR,electrons,protons, neutrons

ReputationRep:
    Years 7, 8, 9 are irrelevant. I've never heard a question like this come up before because those years don't matter. Only stuff you learn in years 10 and 11 count towards your GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callum323)
    Years 7, 8, 9 are irrelevant. I've never heard a question like this come up before because those years don't matter. Only stuff you learn in years 10 and 11 count towards your GCSE.
    Oh ok so like arranging the electrons in Atoms wont come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoungG)
    Oh ok so like arranging the electrons in Atoms wont come up?
    You learn that in year 10 I'm sure. Just go through your GCSE textbook / revision guide and anything that's in there may come up in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Refer to GCSE text books or look at the syllabus online for each subject, whatever is there, has the possibility to come up in the exam. Year 7 and year 8 and maybe year 9 (unless you started a gcse course then) work will not count towards gcse at all unless you did some work relevant to the gcse syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    I know this might seem dumb, but i've just started Year 10 and decided to look up past papers. On there I saw the first question included atomic structure (which we haven't been learning at the moment) . Anyways i wanted to know how much of what we learnt in year 7,8 and 9 comes up in the exam? And if we will ever revisit the topics we learnt in the recent years?
    I did my GCSE's this summer and nothing came up from yr7/yr8. Some gcse courses (maths, science and rs) I started in yr 9 so this was included, but it was very basic stuff. Most stuff is from yr 10 and yr11!

To know EXACTLY what you need to learn for the exam, print off the specifications which are on the exam board's website! Nothing that isn't on the spec will not come up, well unless AQA decide to screw you over too...

ReputationRep:
    None of it Year 7, 8 and 9 really just teach you the ''basics'' (unless your school starts GCSEs in year 9)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bcope2000)
    Refer to GCSE text books or look at the syllabus online for each subject, whatever is there, has the possibility to come up in the exam. Year 7 and year 8 and maybe year 9 (unless you started a gcse course then) work will not count towards gcse at all unless you did some work relevant to the gcse syllabus.
    Oh ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    I did my GCSE's this summer and nothing came up from yr7/yr8. Some gcse courses (maths, science and rs) I started in yr 9 so this was included, but it was very basic stuff. Most stuff is from yr 10 and yr11!

To know EXACTLY what you need to learn for the exam, print off the specifications which are on the exam board's website! Nothing that isn't on the spec will not come up, well unless AQA decide to screw you over too...
    Thanks guys for the help.

ReputationRep:
    I remember we learnt the basics/combined subjects in year 7 and 8 which was completely irrelevant! I just did my gcses this summer, and got 2 Bs in core and additional. In year 9, the courses got separated and even switched exam boards half way through the year. Some of the stuff was in there but was mainly just year 10 and 11 things, so I wouldn't worry because it is the start of the year. But it might be worthwhile starting a few revision notes so you don't forget anything by the time it comes to your exams like I did and had to relearn a lot of it! Good luck.
    Remember to print off the spec too, as this helps you to know what you need.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for the help.
    You're welcome- just ask me if you need any more help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.