Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok so i listed an item on eBay and someone randomly messaged me and said they'd pay me £225 for it so i said ok and then I received an email from ' paypal ' saying that I have been sent a payment of £225 and that I have to email back my tracking number for the item which I did and then i sent the item. shortly I received an email saying the money is going to be transferred into my account however I have still not received the money and there's no sign of it on my paypal account either.

I'm really quite upset that I have been scammed in this way as the emails looked genuine but now looking back I realise paypal wouldn't ask me to send a tracking number before I had my payment

I guess this is a word of warning to anyone selling things on eBay
    NEVER just send items, always wait for someone to bid first or actually buy it as I fell for this trick and now am losing about £100 as a result which is what the phone would've sold for

feeling dumb
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You have an address that you sent it to, if you kept the emails you can contact eBay, PayPal and the police and try and get it sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you have, paypal/ebay are generally very good at dealing with scammers (as they're obviously quite used to it) so I am sure it will all be sorted out for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    Ok so i listed an item on eBay and someone randomly messaged me and said they'd pay me £225 for it so i said ok and then I received an email from ' paypal ' saying that I have been sent a payment of £225 and that I have to email back my tracking number for the item which I did and then i sent the item. shortly I received an email saying the money is going to be transferred into my account however I have still not received the money and there's no sign of it on my paypal account either.

I'm really quite upset that I have been scammed in this way as the emails looked genuine but now looking back I realise paypal wouldn't ask me to send a tracking number before I had my payment

I guess this is a word of warning to anyone selling things on eBay
    NEVER just send items, always wait for someone to bid first or actually buy it as I fell for this trick and now am losing about £100 as a result which is what the phone would've sold for * *feeling dumb
    What was the feedback rating from*the buyer's profile like, out of curiosity?*

And I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, it could happen to anyone. Hopefully eBay/PayPal will sort it out

ReputationRep:
    It's called 'phishing', someone crafted an email to look like it was from PayPal but really it was a random email address, I suggest you give the address a visit or get the police invovled since it's probably not the first time they've committed fraud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuteystar283)
    What was the feedback rating from*the buyer's profile like, out of curiosity?*

And I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, it could happen to anyone. Hopefully eBay/PayPal will sort it out
    they had a really high rating like a star next to their name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Even if you have, paypal/ebay are generally very good at dealing with scammers (as they're obviously quite used to it) so I am sure it will all be sorted out for you
    yeh I'm waiting for them to get back to me

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.