Have I just been scammed Watch

fefssdf
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Ok so i listed an item on eBay and someone randomly messaged me and said they'd pay me £225 for it so i said ok and then I received an email from ' paypal ' saying that I have been sent a payment of £225 and that I have to email back my tracking number for the item which I did and then i sent the item. shortly I received an email saying the money is going to be transferred into my account however I have still not received the money and there's no sign of it on my paypal account either.

I'm really quite upset that I have been scammed in this way as the emails looked genuine but now looking back I realise paypal wouldn't ask me to send a tracking number before I had my payment

I guess this is a word of warning to anyone selling things on eBay
NEVER just send items, always wait for someone to bid first or actually buy it as I fell for this trick and now am losing about £100 as a result which is what the phone would've sold for

feeling dumb
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You have an address that you sent it to, if you kept the emails you can contact eBay, PayPal and the police and try and get it sorted.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Even if you have, paypal/ebay are generally very good at dealing with scammers (as they're obviously quite used to it) so I am sure it will all be sorted out for you
username805138
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by fefssdf)
Ok so i listed an item on eBay and someone randomly messaged me and said they'd pay me £225 for it so i said ok and then I received an email from ' paypal ' saying that I have been sent a payment of £225 and that I have to email back my tracking number for the item which I did and then i sent the item. shortly I received an email saying the money is going to be transferred into my account however I have still not received the money and there's no sign of it on my paypal account either.

I'm really quite upset that I have been scammed in this way as the emails looked genuine but now looking back I realise paypal wouldn't ask me to send a tracking number before I had my payment

I guess this is a word of warning to anyone selling things on eBay
NEVER just send items, always wait for someone to bid first or actually buy it as I fell for this trick and now am losing about £100 as a result which is what the phone would've sold for * *feeling dumb
What was the feedback rating from*the buyer's profile like, out of curiosity?*

And I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, it could happen to anyone. Hopefully eBay/PayPal will sort it out
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's called 'phishing', someone crafted an email to look like it was from PayPal but really it was a random email address, I suggest you give the address a visit or get the police invovled since it's probably not the first time they've committed fraud
fefssdf
Rep:
?
(Original post by cuteystar283)
What was the feedback rating from*the buyer's profile like, out of curiosity?*

And I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, it could happen to anyone. Hopefully eBay/PayPal will sort it out
they had a really high rating like a star next to their name
fefssdf
Rep:
?
(Original post by Inexorably)
Even if you have, paypal/ebay are generally very good at dealing with scammers (as they're obviously quite used to it) so I am sure it will all be sorted out for you
yeh I'm waiting for them to get back to me
thecopywriter
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Seems like a scam to me. Maybe I'm wrong
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by fefssdf)
they had a really high rating like a star next to their name
Almost everyone on eBay has a star next to their name, it's the number next to the star and their percentage you should look at. eBay stipulate that you should never send an item until payment has been cleared through PayPal as it often takes a few days for the transaction to go through.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (275)
60.98%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.88%
No- I want it (120)
26.61%
No- I don't want it (34)
7.54%

Watched Threads