should i do a level Art if i didn't do art gcse and im not that great at drawing

Watch
mariah22
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So, I am thinking to change sixth forms and at this new one i am thinking to choose art a level. However, I didn't do art at GCSE the last time i did art was in year 9

My art skills are not that good, i mean im probably alright, but i really want to do art a level and i like looking at art and pictures of people that others have drawn on instagram etc. I am really looking forward to doing art.

As i didn't do it for gcse i need to bring a portfolio to the sixth form.
So my questions are: What should i include in the portfolio?
Is a level art going to be hard if i am not that good at art and haven't taken it at GCSE? So basically i need advice from people who are not that good at art when they first started doing a level art and i need tips and advice from people that didn't do art gcse.
It would be helpful is the people ansering started off really bad at art and didnt do art gcse so i can understand it better as i could relate to you

Thanks guys, and p.s the sixth form will only let me do art based on the portfolio i give them so i need tips on what to include etc drawings or paintings.
TheAdviser
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This would be the worst decision of your life. Trust me, been there and done it.
LegallyMinded
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"i am not good at art"
"i didn't do art at GCSE"

Don't take it at a-level. Honest advice here.
Crammyandcrabby
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think you answered you own question.

Trust me, we've all be there where we have looked at people's Instagram drawings on Instagram and had sudden inspiration. That will
wear off eventually if you don't have a genuine interest for it.

And it's not easy at all. I know so many people who are amazing at drawing, who put hours into their work yet got a B/A at GCSE!! (They were
expecting an A*). So imagine now at A Level how hard it's going to be.

If you want do it include different kind of work. Like painting, drawing, pastels, collage etc

As for what to draw that's your decision.
mariah22
Rep:
?
thanks for the answers, i probably wouldn't say that im bad at art or not good at art as i am alright, maybe if i did do art at gcse it would probably be a C grade standard or maybe a B. I only said i am bad at art so i could get the best feedback possible. I am gong to work on my portfolio and if its good enough I will do art a level. Im just going to put 100% effort in and try my best.
Ansari_uzair
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mariah22)
So, I am thinking to change sixth forms and at this new one i am thinking to choose art a level. However, I didn't do art at GCSE the last time i did art was in year 9 ( i have just started year 12 but currently at home due to personal issues, so im on a break from sixth form)

My art skills are not that good, lets just say i am not good at art, but i really want to do art a level and i like looking at art and pictures of people that others have drawn on instagram etc. I am really looking forward to doing art.

As i didn't do it for gcse i need to bring a portfolio to the sixth form.
So my questions are: What should i include in the portfolio?
Is a level art going to be hard if i am not that good at art and haven't taken it at GCSE? So basically i need advice from people who are not that good at art when they first started doing a level art and i need tips and advice from people that didn't do art gcse.
It would be helpful is the people ansering started off really bad at art and didnt do art gcse so i can understand it better as i could relate to you

Thanks guys, and p.s the sixth form will only let me do art based on the portfolio i give them so i need tips on what to include etc drawings or paintings.
If you like art and intend to study it at uni level take it, although my personal advice would be not to since unis dont give art a lot of credit, it's a soft subject. If you suck at arts and think you'll get less than an A do not take it, its not worth it.
mariah22
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ansari_uzair)
If you like art and intend to study it at uni level take it, although my personal advice would be not to since unis dont give art a lot of credit, it's a soft subject. If you suck at arts and think you'll get less than an A do not take it, its not worth it.

I am going to try, me doing the a level depends on the portfolio but i am going to try as i really want to do art, if i do bad than i guess it will be probably be my fault but at least i will have 3 other subjects that im sure i will do good in
LegallyMinded
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think you should focus on your 3 current subjects than doing a portfolio for a subject they most likely if not definitely not let you take.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads