Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Computer Science at A-level for CompSci at top Universities watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I had a question regarding Computer Science at A-level for Oxford/Imperial
    I took computer science at AS level knowing that I wanted to do Computer Science at university. However my college was unable to find computing teachers and so we had an IT cover teacher for the year. Thus I self-taught computer science at AS level hoping I'd get a teacher in my A2 year. This has not been the case. I started my A2 year looking forward to doing 4 A-levels and an EPQ and AS Additional Further Maths. However since the teaching for my A-level Computer science is practically non-existent, I may be forced to self-teach the A2 too. Also my teacher for my further maths is away for the year so it seems I will be self-teaching further maths and additional further maths too. I don't want to have to self-teach Further Maths and Computer Science therefore I was wondering how top universities such as Oxford/Imperial etc will look upon me dropping A-level Computer Science. I am passionate about the subject and I want to be able to self-teach it...and I am going to try... but at the end of the day it isn't my fault that the college was unable to provide computer science teachers. I don't know what I should do.. Is this something I should have mentioned in my reference? How will they look at me dropping Computer Science? My college is unsympathetic to me as we rarely get Oxbridge offers/ top uni offers and they've very HARSHLY refused to change my teachers. They believe if I cannot cope with the 4A2's, AS and EPQ then I shouldnt be applying to top universities. IMO this is unfair. what do i do?

ReputationRep:
    gavinlowe

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    Hi,
    I had a question regarding Computer Science at A-level for Oxford/Imperial
    I took computer science at AS level knowing that I wanted to do Computer Science at university. However my college was unable to find computing teachers and so we had an IT cover teacher for the year. Thus I self-taught computer science at AS level hoping I'd get a teacher in my A2 year. This has not been the case. I started my A2 year looking forward to doing 4 A-levels and an EPQ and AS Additional Further Maths. However since the teaching for my A-level Computer science is practically non-existent, I may be forced to self-teach the A2 too. Also my teacher for my further maths is away for the year so it seems I will be self-teaching further maths and additional further maths too. I don't want to have to self-teach Further Maths and Computer Science therefore I was wondering how top universities such as Oxford/Imperial etc will look upon me dropping A-level Computer Science. I am passionate about the subject and I want to be able to self-teach it...and I am going to try... but at the end of the day it isn't my fault that the college was unable to provide computer science teachers. I don't know what I should do.. Is this something I should have mentioned in my reference? How will they look at me dropping Computer Science? My college is unsympathetic to me as we rarely get Oxbridge offers/ top uni offers and they've very HARSHLY refused to change my teachers. They believe if I cannot cope with the 4A2's, AS and EPQ then I shouldnt be applying to top universities. IMO this is unfair. what do i do?
    Oh dear, it does sound like you haven't been treated well by your college.

My advice would be to drop Computer Science, and concentrate on your remaining three A Levels. Offers from Oxford are based on three A Levels, but you need to make sure you get excellent grades in those. Having to self-teach Further Maths is already a significant extra challenge.

We like to see evidence from candidates that they know what Computer Science is about, and that they will enjoy it. Doing Computer Science A Level is one way to demonstrate that. But you can also do it by discussing other things you've done.

It is worth mentioning in your personal statement that you had hoped to take CS A Level, but that your school was unable to provide teaching. However, I suggest you don't over-do that.

Gavin

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.