Turn on thread page Beta

Should males be allowed F for sex on passports? watch

ReputationRep:
    I got very upset when I wasn't allowed to have F in the gender box on my passport. I phoned up to complaim only to be told that, whilst I could fill the form in with an F, I'd still get an M in the box because of European rules.

I guess An Siarach may agree with me on this one... Maybe with this thing the Free State are doing leis an nGaeilge in Brussels (which they should have done in 1973... :rolleyes: ), my next passport can have an F

I also want learner drivers to be allowed F plates as they are allowed D plates in Wales.

ReputationRep:
    what about putting yes please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    I guess An Siarach may agree with me on this one... Maybe with this thing the Free State are doing leis an nGaeilge in Brussels (which they should have done in 1973... :rolleyes: ), my next passport can have an F
    Fireann gu dearbh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Fireann gu dearbh!
    Fireann, cinnte! Ní creidim gur bean mé!!

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want to be female on your passport if you are male? Is it allowed if you are a transsexual?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyballerina)
    Why do you want to be female on your passport if you are male? Is it allowed if you are a transsexual?
    Youd have to speak the lingo to get it as to transexuals im not sure, though i would expect so, it would seem in tune with the EC attitude to most things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyballerina)
    I'm not a transexual and have no gender issues! I am totally male (maybe with a wee bit less testosterone than most, but male all the same!)

ReputationRep:
    I presume the Gaelic word for Male begins with an F?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    I presume the Gaelic word for Male begins with an F?
    Male = fireann (in Scottish Gaelic as well - vide supra)

ReputationRep:
    Male = fireann (in Scottish Gaelic as well - vide supra)
    ohhhhh now it all makes much more sense i thought you were changing it to amuse yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    ohhhhh now it all makes much more sense i thought you were changing it to amuse yourself
    Thit an pingin!

ReputationRep:
    Thit an pingin!

bless you, would you like a tissue?

ReputationRep:
    bless you, would you like a tissue?
    Thanks, I already have a box!

ReputationRep:
    That's kinda stupid, the "official" languages off passports are English and French so of course they're going to make sure it's totally understandable to English and French people.

Not that I really understand...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    That's kinda stupid, the "official" languages off passports are English and French so of course they're going to make sure it's totally understandable to English and French people.

Not that I really understand...

??? Not sure I understand...

All EU recoignised languages are on both British and Irish passports, but whereas I can have my place of birth, nationality, date of birth, etc in Irish, I cannot have my gender in Irish. That's my issue.

ReputationRep:
    In my passport all the headings are in English and French is yours in English and Irish?

I think it's probably due to the automatic reading machines rather than anything sinister. Check out the numbers on your passport you will find your passport number, nationality and date of birth (in reverse order) and then the gender code.

Does anyone know what it is on German, Itallian, wherever passports?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Gnostic)
    What I find contemptible about polthegael is not that he's Irish (I'm 1\4 Irish myself) but that he comes over here, benefits from our society, and then goes on and on and on and on and on non-stop about how evvvilll we British are, and how the poor Irish have been oppressed, and he insists that his BRITISH passport is changed to fit his political beliefs, that we re-name our country etc.
    he hasn't actually said that he has a british passport

ReputationRep:
    he hasn't actually said that he has a british passport
    And I don't. I have an Irish one. I suggest we just let this guy go around alienating himself from everyone. That's what I've been doing these past few day since he developed an issue with me for no reason.

It's not just the Irish though... He also has an issue with Asians and, as far as I can tell, everyone who is not himself. Such people ought to be ignored. Did you notice his post about enslaving the Irish and using them in a sort of Nazi-Jew type slave labour thing? That's how much respect he deserves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Gnostic)
    No reason? You attacked the LSE in the LSE forum! That's like going to the Vatican and ripping a Bible in front of that deluded polish prince's face!
    what do you care what he thinks?

ReputationRep:
    Pol mate you had me worried there . I thought you wanted the right to call yourself a woman if you saw fit.
    So I guess this confusion is the reason you can't have F on your passport. Most people wouldn't know the Irish for male, and would just assume you were supposed to be a girl. If they had the whole word on it it might be ok. I don't think there's any sinister reasoning behind it, just they want to stop dumb airport workers from becoming confused

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.