Turn on thread page Beta

Should males be allowed F for sex on passports? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    if this guy really wants "f" on his passport, then medical science has an answer
    can we get over the fact that fireann and female both begin with an 'f'? Do you have an opinion on the initial question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleenia)
    can we get over the fact that fireann and female both begin with an 'f'? Do you have an opinion on the initial question?
    ok then, there's no need to overcomplicate passports with two meanings for "f" on them. remember that they are read by people from other countries, who dont speak or read english, when you go there (kinda obvious, but it might be forgotten), so having two "F"s would make it possibly too confusing for them.

ReputationRep:
    ok then, there's no need to overcomplicate passports with two meanings for "f" on them. remember that they are read by people from other countries, who dont speak or read english, when you go there (kinda obvious, but it might be forgotten), so having two "F"s would make it possibly too confusing for them.
    so how do you choose which language has supremacy?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I don't see why there should be F except maybe in a special "Gaelic" section alongside the normal English and French. It'd just confuse things.

"So, you're female?"
    "No I'm Gaelic... it's just the word for Male"

ReputationRep:
    so how do you choose which language has supremacy?
    Well my passport has English and French on because they're two of the most widely understood languages, plus English fits in with home.

The world's three most widely understood languages are English, French and Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Yeah, I don't see why there should be F except maybe in a special "Gaelic" section alongside the normal English and French. It'd just confuse things.

"So, you're female?"
    "No I'm Gaelic... it's just the word for Male"
    But hasn't Pol already explained that his passport is in English and Irish?

ReputationRep:
    But hasn't Pol already explained that his passport is in English and Irish?
    tumbleweed.... looks like someone wasn't paying attention to the thread ....

ReputationRep:
    an bhfuil cead agam dul ar go dtí an leithreas, más é do thoil é?
    Tá cead agat, a chara!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    Because English is by far the most widely spoken language in the Republic of Ireland, the country which issued your passport, and also it is understood across Europe. Passports are a tool that needs to be easily usable, not a vehicle for parading minority languages.
    Irish is the first language of Ireland (from the Constitution). It's also an official EU language. When the Welsh have rights to have D plates on cars and stuff like that, I only want to have my national language on my passport.

ReputationRep:
    As an aside... What do you think is in the gender box of a Russian passport? If it's M/F, then I conceed the point. I bet it's Cyrillic letters though. If so, what about people who don't read them. Passports have photos, something else you may have forgotten. Why do you need the sex thing anyway? If you get these chips/scanable barcodes put in, then they can have all the details - so why not let the writting be in whichever language you want?

As I've said before, the other details are in Irish, just the gender is not.

F and B are as different as M and F!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    As an aside... What do you think is in the gender box of a Russian passport? If it's M/F, then I conceed the point. I bet it's Cyrillic letters though. If so, what about people who don't read them. Passports have photos, something else you may have forgotten. Why do you need the sex thing anyway? If you get these chips/scanable barcodes put in, then they can have all the details - so why not let the writting be in whichever language you want?

As I've said before, the other details are in Irish, just the gender is not.

F and B are as different as M and F!
    my russian visa is all in cyrillic but then again that is just for going into russia. russian visa's are pretty strict you have to do all this stuff to get one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    my russian visa is all in cyrillic but then again that is just for going into russia. russian visa's are pretty strict you have to do all this stuff to get one
    Even now?

ReputationRep:
    Even now?
    yep there's all these forms to fill out and the visa is 2 pages long insane thing and its all in russian

ReputationRep:
    yep there's all these forms to fill out and the visa is 2 pages long insane thing and its all in russian
    Maybe I should apply for one just to see how much of my school Russian I can remember Think I'd be too scared of the Mafia and the Chechens to pop over though! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I should apply for one just to see how much of my school Russian I can remember Think I'd be too scared of the Mafia and the Chechens to pop over though! :rolleyes:
    Moscow is scary... people on the train drinking vodka/beers as they go to work. I don't think our teacher helped though by telling us that we'd all get stabbed and/or pickpocketed if we didn't stick together. We stayed with this mad russian family who wanted us (me and a friend) to marry his daughters and to sell some of his communist stuff in the uk and send him the money. And he stole our vodka!!!! left in the morning nearly full bottle, come back nearly empty bottle. Oh well, oh one last thing about russia don't go there if you're black

ReputationRep:
    Moscow is scary... people on the train drinking vodka/beers as they go to work. I don't think our teacher helped though by telling us that we'd all get stabbed and/or pickpocketed if we didn't stick together. We stayed with this mad russian family who wanted us (me and a friend) to marry his daughters and to sell some of his communist stuff in the uk and send him the money. And he stole our vodka!!!! left in the morning nearly full bottle, come back nearly empty bottle. Oh well, oh one last thing about russia don't go there if you're black
    I'm not black, so maybe I'd be o-k!

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine all that happemomg, drinking beer in the morning is considered completely normal although its only the homeless that you'll really see drinking Vodka that early, and yeh the pickpockets are meant to be bad but ive never had any trouble....

the only real trouble is the racism, one of my mates out here is Maori, and he gets loads of bother, when i was with him at an expat club we left at about 3 30 and there were a group of skinheads waiting for us and they bottled both of us him for being black(?) and me for being a '****** lover' i think that was the only english they knew....if only the ultra-right wingers and wanna be neo-nazis on here actually knew what their beliefs look like when they ar expressed other than on internet forums i think they'd be a bit more 'liberal' shall we say...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    I can imagine all that happemomg, drinking beer in the morning is considered completely normal although its only the homeless that you'll really see drinking Vodka that early, and yeh the pickpockets are meant to be bad but ive never had any trouble....

the only real trouble is the racism, one of my mates out here is Maori, and he gets loads of bother, when i was with him at an expat club we left at about 3 30 and there were a group of skinheads waiting for us and they bottled both of us him for being black(?) and me for being a '****** lover' i think that was the only english they knew....if only the ultra-right wingers and wanna be neo-nazis on here actually knew what their beliefs look like when they ar expressed other than on internet forums i think they'd be a bit more 'liberal' shall we say...
    This was Mass Lenintsa (no idea how to convert cyrillic to roman) so loads of people were drinking anyway, went to the red square and we got let loose was great fun shared a beer with some very strange russian people and couldn't understand a word they were saying

ReputationRep:
    This was Mass Lenintsa (no idea how to convert cyrillic to roman) so loads of people were drinking anyway, went to the red square and we got let loose was great fun shared a beer with some very strange russian people and couldn't understand a word they were saying
    масс ленинца is that a place in moscow cos ive never heard of it?

They would have been telling you about the Russian soul - its the standard drunken russian conversation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    масс ленинца is that a place in moscow cos ive never heard of it?

They would have been telling you about the Russian soul - its the standard drunken russian conversation
    nah its a festival day like mardi gras where you eat as much grease as you can and its followed pretty much immediatly by woman's day which is big in russia so the whole 5 days we were in Moscow were a bit of a piss up for the russians

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.