Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I have an interview for School Direct. the interview includes delivering a Mental Math or SPAG lesson to Y3 class in 20 minutes. .:afraid:
    Do you think asking for a school visit or observing a lesson with this particular class Prior the interview would be a good idea ? or it will show up as an unprofessional attitude and lack of confidence ?
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

You could ask for a school visit. People tend to visit before applying rather than after they've been invited to interview, but it probably wouldn't be a problem. You should not, however, ask for the opportunity to observe the class you will be teaching. It would give you an unfair advantage over the other candidates. The children you will be teaching won't necessarily be from the same class anyway or the leadership team might not decide until the interview day which class to give you.

The interviewers/observers will have realistic expectations of you - they won't expect you to meet the needs of this particular class, they will simply be looking for a general awareness (through differentiation) that every class will have children will differing needs. They will not be looking for a brilliant lesson that has been taught well - you haven't had the training or experience to pull that off - they simply want to know if you have the potential to be a good teacher and will fit in well within the school. To assess this, they will be looking to see whether you can build a good rapport with the children, so introduce yourself, set high expectations of behaviour (hands up if you have something to say, show good listening when others are talking, maybe set up a signal for when you want their attention) and then give them something engaging and purposeful to do. When you ask a question, ask the responding child to tell you their name. Some schools are good enough to put name labels on the children, in which case you just need to read the label - a simple thing like this will demonstrate that you are personable. Show enthusiasm for what you are doing and, when the children are working, move around the room, ask questions to support/extend their learning and help them if needed.

I completely understand how scary being observed teaching children you don't know is, but schools are very realistic about what is achievable in this circumstance and will expect nerves. Part of the test is, unfortunately, to see whether you can get over the nerves and push on.

ReputationRep:
    I am very grateful to your valuable advice and it obviously, pushed up my confidence to a great extent. Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    I think there are some good reasons to observe the class other than confidence! You should know a year 3 class approximate level but it's good to know if there are some strong/weak students so you know who to give additional help to and who to ask challenging questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E_A_83)
    I am very grateful to your valuable advice and it obviously, pushed up my confidence to a great extent. Thanks again
    Best of luck! The lesson will go by in a flash and, once you get going, the observers will be easy to ignore as your focus will be on the children, so try not to worry about it.

(Original post by doodle_333)
    I think there are some good reasons to observe the class other than confidence! You should know a year 3 class approximate level but it's good to know if there are some strong/weak students so you know who to give additional help to and who to ask challenging questions.
    At NQT interviews (not so much for teacher training interviews as these applicants won't necessarily know how to do this) the expectation is that you should be able to deduce this through formative assessment such as questioning and perhaps some sort of starter activity. Teaching is a job in which you need to be able to react, adapt quickly and tackle the unexpected.

Having to teach children you don't know is a part of the test, so schools will not allow you to observe the children before the interview. Some will be happy to tell you what the range of attainments in the class are, whether or not you will have a TA with you in the lesson and if any children have SEND but others will consider even this to be a bit smarmy and perceive it as a candidate trying to gain an unfair advantage.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.