How important the name of the university is when it comes to applying for TCs?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    I am about to start my Law degree at an average RG university. The problem is that I have exceeded my expectations in terms of A-level results by achieving 3A*s and been accepted by this mediocre university who only ask for 3 As.
    Would a degree from an average RG hinder my chances of getting a TC at a reputable city or regional firm? I really need help deciding whether to settle down with my current uni, or start a new UCAS application and have a go at getting a place at a more reputable institution. I wouldn't want to get out of academics for a year, but if the university is so important, I am willing to wait.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    You could look into transferring after your first year - I've seen that on enough applications.

But unlike 10-15 years ago, I don't think the university name/reputation is as big an issue as it used to be.

Where a "stronger" university usually helps with TCs is the opportunities it provides you to inform yourself about recruitment processes, the support you have around you and he opportunity to develop things on your CV like extra curricular activities. However if you are proactive enough, you can do this at any university - just at the more reputable ones, it's basically handed to you on a plate.

My advice is go where you are going to be happiest. You are more likely to settle in, do well and build up extra curriculars if you are in an environment you are comfortable and happy in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    You could look into transferring after your first year - I've seen that on enough applications.

But unlike 10-15 years ago, I don't think the university name/reputation is as big an issue as it used to be.

Where a "stronger" university usually helps with TCs is the opportunities it provides you to inform yourself about recruitment processes, the support you have around you and he opportunity to develop things on your CV like extra curricular activities. However if you are proactive enough, you can do this at any university - just at the more reputable ones, it's basically handed to you on a plate.

My advice is go where you are going to be happiest. You are more likely to settle in, do well and build up extra curriculars if you are in an environment you are comfortable and happy in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for your advice.
    I've looked at transfers, but the universities I looked into (LSE, Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Durham and Warwick) don't seem to accept transfer students onto their LLB programmes. And the rest of the universities that do (Birmingham, Leeds etc.) seem to be somewhere on par with the university I am currently attending. Thus, I probably should focus on gaining some extracurriculars.

Are there any firms that offer Vacation Schemes to first-year students btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BIGJohnson777)
    Thank you for your advice.
    I've looked at transfers, but the universities I looked into (LSE, Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Durham and Warwick) don't seem to accept transfer students onto their LLB programmes. And the rest of the universities that do (Birmingham, Leeds etc.) seem to be somewhere on par with the university I am currently attending. Thus, I probably should focus on gaining some extracurriculars.

There's plenty of first year programmes - not necessarily vacation schemes, but open days/2-3 day programmes. You can also look at campus ambassador roles at the end of your first year too.

If your university is of the same par as Leeds/Birmingham - you will be fine. They are both targeted by firms and run plenty of events. Just make sure you get good grades and build your CV up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BIGJohnson777)

yeah, google around for them they're quite easy to find.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not all that important nowadays

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.