Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,I want to do medicine, this I did my As levels biology, chemistry, maths and spanish,I got DDD and an A in Spanish, I wanna ask is there a chance for me in medicine or should I just give up,I know I can improve my grades in A2, I was thinking about dropping maths because I don't really need it for medicine and I also got an A in Spanish, do u think I can get into medicine with bio chem and spanish?? If I don't drop maths than I might have to resit maths because maths As counts towards A2, but in that case I will have to take a gap year but I don't wanna waste a year, do u think there's a way I can get into uni next year for medicine?? I have booked my ukcat as well shall I take it or just cancel it?

ReputationRep:
    Unless you can get AAA predictions for this year you can't apply. Id say cancel your UKCAT, try and smash your a-levels and get AAA at least then reapply with your achieved grades.

ReputationRep:
    Cancel your UKCAT. Your AS grades are pretty low and I think the chances of you getting predicted AAA from them are low unless you resit. I think you should aim to do really well in your a-levels this year, maybe taking resits alongside them, and apply with achieved grades. Foundation courses are also available but even with the grades you have already it might be quite tricky as they're very very competitive. Gap years aren't a waste. That's what I'm currently on right now I chose to take one though because I wasn't 100% sure which course was right for me and I had previously considered medicine. Your heart genuinely needs to be in it if you want to do medicine, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juststudent)
    Hi,I want to do medicine, this I did my As levels biology, chemistry, maths and spanish,I got DDD and an A in Spanish, I wanna ask is there a chance for me in medicine or should I just give up,I know I can improve my grades in A2, I was thinking about dropping maths because I don't really need it for medicine and I also got an A in Spanish, do u think I can get into medicine with bio chem and spanish?? If I don't drop maths than I might have to resit maths because maths As counts towards A2, but in that case I will have to take a gap year but I don't wanna waste a year, do u think there's a way I can get into uni next year for medicine?? I have booked my ukcat as well shall I take it or just cancel it?
    As said, cancel your UKCAT. There's no point wasting your money unless you just want to experience the test and see how you do.

You can absolutely do medicine if you knuckle down, work hard and achieve AAA.

Why do you think you didn't get the grades? D's are quite a way from the A's that you need. Think carefully and realistically about whether you are prepared to put in the time and effort to achieve that AAA. If you feel like you can do it, then go ahead and do it!

Otherwise, possibly have a think about some other degree's that interest you that are maybe allied to medicine. You could maybe even look at graduate medicine after this degree. Not ideal, but a possibility.

It all depends on how hard you're prepared to work and what you think you are capable of achieving. Only you know

Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.