Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to know what the transition was like because I've not been much of an essay person. I can remember a lot and write a lot but actually writing your own essay in response to a question e.g. like in English Literature, I was never THAT good at. So, what's it like going into a Law degree having done science A Levels and non-essay based subjects? The closest thing to an essay based subject that I do is Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewKn0x)
    I just wanted to know what the transition was like because I've not been much of an essay person. I can remember a lot and write a lot but actually writing your own essay in response to a question e.g. like in English Literature, I was never THAT good at. So, what's it like going into a Law degree having done science A Levels and non-essay based subjects? The closest thing to an essay based subject that I do is Psychology.
    Hi ! It definitely will be an adjustment but it is definitely doable.

I think it really depends on what uni you will be attending as different institutions structure the degree differently in terms of how much essay writing will be involved.

Certainly where i study, I write about 2 essays per term. This sounds like nothing, but then my exams are generally 100% on the day exams.
    I have friends at other unis and they are more dependent on course work so they write more essays than I do.

I do have tutorials every week where I have to prepare answers to legal scenarios we have been provided with, but that doesnt require me to write an essay.

The most demanding aspect of any law degree is the amount of reading that is involved (something that can be a shock to the system at first). I spend most of my week reading textbooks and cases in preparation for lectures and tutorials.

I have friends on my course that took all Science Highers (I am from Scotland) and they are coping okay on the degree. If anything they have a slight disadvantage in comparison to those who studied English lit/humanities subjects but they still get through the degree.

If you are in the stages of applying to unis right now definitely pay close attention to how the different unis structure their courses and look out for ones who place more of an emphasis on coursework. That being said, a legal essay is different to those written in English lit as they are very matter of fact and generally do not contain the flowery language and fancy techniques that you would probably associate with an essay. They focus more on explaining a law, and then explaining how it relates to your client/problem.

If you have any more questions feel free to pm me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evalilyXOX)
    Hi ! It definitely will be an adjustment but it is definitely doable.

I think it really depends on what uni you will be attending as different institutions structure the degree differently in terms of how much essay writing will be involved.

Certainly where i study, I write about 2 essays per term. This sounds like nothing, but then my exams are generally 100% on the day exams.
    I have friends at other unis and they are more dependent on course work so they write more essays than I do.

I do have tutorials every week where I have to prepare answers to legal scenarios we have been provided with, but that doesnt require me to write an essay.

The most demanding aspect of any law degree is the amount of reading that is involved (something that can be a shock to the system at first). I spend most of my week reading textbooks and cases in preparation for lectures and tutorials.

I have friends on my course that took all Science Highers (I am from Scotland) and they are coping okay on the degree. If anything they have a slight disadvantage in comparison to those who studied English lit/humanities subjects but they still get through the degree.

If you are in the stages of applying to unis right now definitely pay close attention to how the different unis structure their courses and look out for ones who place more of an emphasis on coursework. That being said, a legal essay is different to those written in English lit as they are very matter of fact and generally do not contain the flowery language and fancy techniques that you would probably associate with an essay. They focus more on explaining a law, and then explaining how it relates to your client/problem.

If you have any more questions feel free to pm me
    Thank you so much for your reply! Would you consider the essays as easy to write or do you need fancy writing skills?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewKn0x)
    Thank you so much for your reply! Would you consider the essays as easy to write or do you need fancy writing skills?
    Certainly at my university, I struggled at first with the essay writing as I was so used to writing in a more flowery and analytical fashion.

I found that the technique behind the essays is actually very basic and so I think you would cope very well with the format. Legal essays are more informative and logical.

Legal writing mainly focuses on a system called IRAC. (Issue, Rule, Application, Conclusion) and so structurally is not complex.

Unis obviously are stringent on the proper use of grammar, but apart from that, it is all about the content of the essay as opposed to what language techniques are used.

If you research legal essays online you will find that there is nothing really to worry about (apart from making sure you are referencing the write laws haha)
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Psychology will be close enough. Just have a logical structure and you will be fine.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.