Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello , i Don't know if this is the right place to ask but I have just worked for the first time and I did 8 hours. I got paid £63 but £12 was gone for Tax. Is this right ? Am I meant to pay tax? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm not 100% as i'm only 16 and got a job of my own not too long ago but i believe it's taken out as emergency tax which is like 20% of your earnings. Don't worry though, It can be reclaimed but you have to appeal it and it will take like 6-8 weeks to receive it back. Can't really add on anymore as i've not done it myself yet - hoped this helped you out a little

ReputationRep:
    It is because this is your first job and as such you will pay emergency tax. Complete a starter checklist from the following link*https://www.gov.uk/government/public...rter-checklist
    Sign it and give it to your manager and ask them to send it to payroll. This will then give you the correct tax code *of 1100 rather than BR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keerthan26)
    Hello , i Don't know if this is the right place to ask but I have just worked for the first time and I did 8 hours. I got paid £63 but £12 was gone for Tax. Is this right ? Am I meant to pay tax? Thanks
    Its because its your first job and you are being emergency taxed. You shouldnt be taxed because you wont earn enough, and you will be able to get it back.
    The easiest way is to phone hmrc and explain it to them and you should get the tax back either next pay day or the one after (depending on how close to next pay day it is when you phone). Just make sure you have your NI number and pay slip handy when you phone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.