This discussion is closed.
Elliottalex
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hi,
I'm 13 years old but mature for my age.
I've tried to get a paper round in my local area but there is a very long waiting list for one.
I am now searching for a job in a store either at the weekends, temp in the hols or after school.
You can legally work in a store but I'm finding it hard to find anywhere that will employ me.
Does anyone know of any stores in the Cambridge area that would employ me at my age?

Cheers,
Phil
Fluffy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Elliottalex)
Hi,
I've tried to get a paper round in my local area but there is a very long waiting list for one.
I am now searching for a job in a store either at the weekends, temp in the hols or after school.
You can legally work in a store but I'm finding it hard to find anywhere that will employ me.
Does anyone know of any stores in the Cambridge area that would employ me at my age?

Cheers,
Phil

You need to get written permission from your school and you can't work any longer than 4 hours a week. I would have thought a small independent shop would be your best bet...
Quiksilver
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
You need to get written permission from your school and you can't work any longer than 4 hours a week. I would have thought a small independent shop would be your best bet...
written permission from school - never heard that one before :confused:
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Quiksilver)
writen permission from school - never heard that one before :confused:
If you're under 16 you need permission from your school and parents.

Edited to add link: http://www.bizhelp24.com/business_la...ment.shtml#age

Getting Permission to Employ a Young ChildAll employers wanting to employ a child before the school leaving age should obtain an application form (from the Education Welfare Service), signed by the employer, parents and head teacher.

A copy of the form should then be sent to the school before the child begins employment.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
If you're under 16 you need permission from your school and parents.

Edited to add link: http://www.bizhelp24.com/business_la...ment.shtml#age
It also looks like they may have changed the 4 hours thing -

The following rules are connected to businesses employing young children (if they are paid or not), where work is carried out for profit. This does not apply to young children that baby-sit or help charities.

No work is to be carried out during school hours or during school lunch breaks

No work is to be carried before 7am or after 7pm

Only 2 hours work can be carried out on a school weekday of which no more than one hour of this can be carried out before the start of school hours

Work should last no longer than 2 hours on a Sunday

Work should last no longer than 8 hours during a Saturday or during a school holiday. This is reduced to 5 hours for those aged under 15

Work should last no longer than 35 hours per week during school holidays. This is reduced to 25 hours for those aged under 15

Work should last no longer than 12 hours per week when the child is attending school

Young children should have at least a 2 week break during the school holidays or at any point during the school year
Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
brings back memorys i was a paper boy for like 5 years, ridiculasly long time really! is it not 14 the minimum age you can work other than paper rounds though?
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Vladek)
brings back memorys i was a paper boy for like 5 years, ridiculasly long time really! is it not 14 the minimum age you can work other than paper rounds though?
http://www.bizhelp24.com/business_la...ment.shtml#age

The legal age for a young person to start paid work is currently 14 years old. However, some areas of the UK allow the minimum age to be 13 years old to cover certain types of work such as delivering newspapers or working in shops, salons, offices or cafes.

You should contact your local government to find out if you are liable to employ 13 year olds for your particular type of work.
Weena_no9
Report 15 years ago
What do you want a job for anyway, working sucks bum. Water fights and hanging out at the park, that's what summer is about.
dinkymints
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Elliottalex)
Hi,

Cheers,
Phil
replied to this in the other thread you posted in
RyanW
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Sorry but you've got as much hope of getting a job as pigs do of flying. There are far too many over 16s who will have decent qualifications or at Uni going for the same jobs. It's not even worth trying national chains - most want people to be 18 now, never mind 16 or indeed, 13.

Sorry.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (65)
19.35%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (72)
21.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (62)
18.45%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (70)
20.83%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (34)
10.12%
I haven't started researching yet (33)
9.82%

Watched Threads