Turn on thread page Beta

Job at 13 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm 13 years old but mature for my age.
    I've tried to get a paper round in my local area but there is a very long waiting list for one.
    I am now searching for a job in a store either at the weekends, temp in the hols or after school.
    You can legally work in a store but I'm finding it hard to find anywhere that will employ me.
    Does anyone know of any stores in the Cambridge area that would employ me at my age?

Cheers,
    Phil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elliottalex)
    Hi,
    I've tried to get a paper round in my local area but there is a very long waiting list for one.
    I am now searching for a job in a store either at the weekends, temp in the hols or after school.
    You can legally work in a store but I'm finding it hard to find anywhere that will employ me.
    Does anyone know of any stores in the Cambridge area that would employ me at my age?

Cheers,
    Phil

You need to get written permission from your school and you can't work any longer than 4 hours a week. I would have thought a small independent shop would be your best bet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    You need to get written permission from your school and you can't work any longer than 4 hours a week. I would have thought a small independent shop would be your best bet...
    written permission from school - never heard that one before :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    writen permission from school - never heard that one before :confused:
    If you're under 16 you need permission from your school and parents.

Edited to add link: http://www.bizhelp24.com/business_la...ment.shtml#age

Getting Permission to Employ a Young ChildAll employers wanting to employ a child before the school leaving age should obtain an application form (from the Education Welfare Service), signed by the employer, parents and head teacher.

A copy of the form should then be sent to the school before the child begins employment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    If you're under 16 you need permission from your school and parents.

Edited to add link: http://www.bizhelp24.com/business_la...ment.shtml#age
    It also looks like they may have changed the 4 hours thing -

The following rules are connected to businesses employing young children (if they are paid or not), where work is carried out for profit. This does not apply to young children that baby-sit or help charities.

No work is to be carried out during school hours or during school lunch breaks

No work is to be carried before 7am or after 7pm

Only 2 hours work can be carried out on a school weekday of which no more than one hour of this can be carried out before the start of school hours

Work should last no longer than 2 hours on a Sunday

Work should last no longer than 8 hours during a Saturday or during a school holiday. This is reduced to 5 hours for those aged under 15

Work should last no longer than 35 hours per week during school holidays. This is reduced to 25 hours for those aged under 15

Work should last no longer than 12 hours per week when the child is attending school

Young children should have at least a 2 week break during the school holidays or at any point during the school year

ReputationRep:
    brings back memorys i was a paper boy for like 5 years, ridiculasly long time really! is it not 14 the minimum age you can work other than paper rounds though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    brings back memorys i was a paper boy for like 5 years, ridiculasly long time really! is it not 14 the minimum age you can work other than paper rounds though?
    http://www.bizhelp24.com/business_la...ment.shtml#age

The legal age for a young person to start paid work is currently 14 years old. However, some areas of the UK allow the minimum age to be 13 years old to cover certain types of work such as delivering newspapers or working in shops, salons, offices or cafes.

You should contact your local government to find out if you are liable to employ 13 year olds for your particular type of work.

ReputationRep:
    What do you want a job for anyway, working sucks bum. Water fights and hanging out at the park, that's what summer is about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elliottalex)
    Hi,

Cheers,
    Phil
    replied to this in the other thread you posted in

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but you've got as much hope of getting a job as pigs do of flying. There are far too many over 16s who will have decent qualifications or at Uni going for the same jobs. It's not even worth trying national chains - most want people to be 18 now, never mind 16 or indeed, 13.

Sorry.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.