Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

BeD Early Primary Education

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was hoping I could get some advice. I'm currently studying early primary education and im going into my second year now and tbh first year was hard and this year i get it's going to be harder. But the truth is, I find it hard on placement more, especially when it comes to planning lessons and confidently delivering them. I've never taught a lesson before I've always been the person who helps the teacher out and I really thought I could do this but now I'm not so sure. I'm not the most confident person either but I was hoping by doing this course I could get more confident in myself and teaching. Well what I'm trying to say is should I carry on completing my degree even if im not exactly good at it and see where's it takes me or should I quit and go for something else? If I do finish the course would there be any other career paths I could take instead of teaching, sounds stupid but I really do want to work with children, but I just don't know if teaching is right for me. I could really do with some advice could anyone please help me, it will be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabbykaur)
    Hi, I was hoping I could get some advice. I'm currently studying early primary education and im going into my second year now and tbh first year was hard and this year i get it's going to be harder. But the truth is, I find it hard on placement more, especially when it comes to planning lessons and confidently delivering them. I've never taught a lesson before I've always been the person who helps the teacher out and I really thought I could do this but now I'm not so sure. I'm not the most confident person either but I was hoping by doing this course I could get more confident in myself and teaching. Well what I'm trying to say is should I carry on completing my degree even if im not exactly good at it and see where's it takes me or should I quit and go for something else? If I do finish the course would there be any other career paths I could take instead of teaching, sounds stupid but I really do want to work with children, but I just don't know if teaching is right for me. I could really do with some advice could anyone please help me, it will be much appreciated!
    Been here before. Teaching is bloody tough. And its best you decide whether teaching is really for you or not sooner rather than later, there is a free book on amazon called 'should i become a primary school teacher?' which offers a lot of valuable advice on the decision and might put your mind at ease a little bit as teaching isn't for everyone.

It terms of other options. A QTS degree is a very good degree to have, you could: work in school still in another role; work with early and after school clubs; become a study coach in a levels; work in universities; or work in recruitment jobs for teacher; work abroad and teach english as a foreign language; teach supply. There is quite a lot!

Hope this help, let me know f you have any more questions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabbykaur)
    how old are you OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdling_CompSci)
    how old are you OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LCAMPBELL94)
    Been here before. Teaching is bloody tough. And its best you decide whether teaching is really for you or not sooner rather than later, there is a free book on amazon called 'should i become a primary school teacher?' which offers a lot of valuable advice on the decision and might put your mind at ease a little bit as teaching isn't for everyone.

It terms of other options. A QTS degree is a very good degree to have, you could: work in school still in another role; work with early and after school clubs; become a study coach in a levels; work in universities; or work in recruitment jobs for teacher; work abroad and teach english as a foreign language; teach supply. There is quite a lot!

Hope this help, let me know f you have any more questions!

Hi, thanks so much for replying. I'm sort of debating at the moment, as I think I should carry on with the course because it will give me a huge advantage when applying for jobs, however this is going to sound stupid but when I complete the degree, would I be able to apply for tutoring jobs? id be looking for the early years key stage 1, as the degree I'm studying is early years and key stage 1 based. I feel like tutoring would be the better option for improving my confidence. I'm still teaching but with one to one and groups of children. Is that possible? doing a teaching degree but applying for tutoring jobs afterwards?

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.