The Student Room Group

How much more important is 3 A-levels and 1 AS than just 3 A-levels?

Hi, I've recently just started year 12 and this is obviously the first year the reformed system has come into place.

I'm currently moving towards doing 3 A-levels (2 of them are reformed) and one AS level. The A-levels are Philosophy and Ethics, Government and Politics and Computing; the AS level is History. I got 3 A*s, 7 As and 1 B in my GCSEs.

I'm wondering if anyone could help me determine how important that AS level in History would be to potential University applications, especially considering that I'm planning to do an EPQ. What I've seen thus far is a lot of universities only require 3 A-levels of certain grades for most courses, especially the Philosophy courses, which is most likely what I'd be interested in. In terms of UCAS points I'm aware that 3 A-levels plus an EPQ would equal the same points as 3 A-levels plus an AS-level.

The primary reason for me considering this is that I greatly enjoy my 3 A-level subjects and I really don't enjoy History - I'm very much struggling to be passionate about it - and (to me) it seems logical to focus my attention and time on the things that I enjoy, and are thus much more likely to do well in. It would also be a considerable help to my G&P A-level if the only external exam I have to focus on at the end of this year is G&P, and not also History.

Thanks for any help.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

I promise it won't help at all with getting offers. Not at all, especially with the reforms meaning that a lot of people are only doing 3 AS subjects now.

That said, I am currently doing 4 subjects for A2 after doing for A2. However, my fourth is a BTEC Subsidiary Diploma (equivalent to an A-level) instead of a fourth A-level. I decided to carry on with all four for two reasons. The first is that I really enjoy the subject, and the second is that it is really easy to do well in (all coursework no exams) so it will give me more flexibility in meeting university offers. For example, one of my universities gives offers of AAB, but because they also accept BTECs they will give an offer of AAB/Distinction + AB, meaning that I can use the BTEC as a spare qualification to meet my offer almost.

That won't be the case with you though, because A-levels are about (I would estimate) 5x as difficult as BTECs, so it will actually be harder to meet your offer if you're doing 4 A-levels, not easier.

Quick Reply

Latest