Turn on thread page Beta

Is it ok to drink the tape water in the UK? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Stupid question maybe, but is it?

ReputationRep:
    The tap water in the UK is probably one of the cleanest in the world, its certainly cleaner than many other European countries so yes its very very safe.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah...

Why wouldn't it be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    Yeah...

Why wouldn't it be?
    Some countries don't have very good water cleaning facilities, you're not supposed to drink the tap water in spain for example though its probably ok if you're used to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Some countries don't have very good water cleaning facilities, you're not supposed to drink the tap water in spain for example though its probably ok if you're used to it.
    There are EU-wide standards on water cleanliness I think.

The only reason they say don't drink tapwater from some countries is because the minerals in them will be different to here (not neccessarily bad) and can cause stomach upset. Though in some countries, the locals prefer not to drink tapwater, that is true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I know, but I thought it was well documented, as it were, how clean it is.

Maybe it's all the water filters you can buy confusing people...

Sometimes I drink filtered water, but that's because it's kept in the fridge. It's because it's colder, not because it's safer. I'm perfectly happy drinking tap water.

ReputationRep:
    are there 2 threads on this topic? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    are there 2 threads on this topic? :confused:
    Yeah, I would say double post, but the titles are different. Maybe the threadstarter isn't too sure of the workings of this forum so she posted again when she tried to correct the mistake in the original title.

Or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pushupbra)
    Stupid question maybe, but is it?
    Sure is. Its all i drink

ReputationRep:
    Yep water filters are more for older houses really, if you have lead pipes then they do filter out the lead very well. I guess they may help in modern houses as well.

I think water filters just make it saver in the long term rather than short time.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get any tummy upsets from the water I drank on my holiday, but I discovered that Devon water is still the best in the world

ReputationRep:
    while we're on the topic of water.............whats hard water areas

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is.!.!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    i think i live in a hardwater area??

init like water with alot of...what're they called....you know you get like limescale..i think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    i think i live in a hardwater area??

init like water with alot of...what're they called....you know you get like limescale..i think...
    In some places they add flouride to the water too. I think that's up north though? Perhaps there is a correlation between flouride intake and the desire to burgle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    In some places they add flouride to the water too. I think that's up north though? Perhaps there is a correlation between flouride intake and the desire to burgle!
    hehe - you're gonna get shouted at

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    lol but i live in cambridge?!? the showerhead is always get clogged up by blue stuff :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    England and Wales map
    Not sure if I'm in the really hard bit or the softer bit in Surrey. I know we have chalky water though, so I'm guessing hard...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)

Water with a high calcium/magnesium content. Londons water is very hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Water with a high calcium/magnesium content. Londons water is very hard.
    yeah they nick your car and beat you up without warning

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.