Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Low vs high rank uni for PhD study watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am in a dilemma which I can't decide and would appreciate some opinions.

Basically, I have an opportunity to study for PhD at a low rank university without having to pay for fees etc. However, I wonder if I should accept this opportunity or try for a top rank university instead. But then I would need to find fundings for that as well which can be extremely difficult.

Of course, the universities that I have in mind all have supervisors with similar interests to my research interests and have facilities (e.g. lab and equipment) which could accommodate the potential project(s).

What would you do if you were in my position?

Many thanks.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'd take the funding. Being funded and having a good supervisor/a supervisor who is well-known in your field, is more important than overall uni prestige :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Definitely take the funding! A PhD is a PhD, if you like the supervisor and think you'll work well with them, then that's the most important thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myratree)
    Hi all,

I am in a dilemma which I can't decide and would appreciate some opinions.

Basically, I have an opportunity to study for PhD at a low rank university without having to pay for fees etc. However, I wonder if I should accept this opportunity or try for a top rank university instead. But then I would need to find fundings for that as well which can be extremely difficult.

Of course, the universities that I have in mind all have supervisors with similar interests to my research interests and have facilities (e.g. lab and equipment) which could accommodate the potential project(s).

What would you do if you were in my position?

Many thanks.

A bird in the hand etc. Lab, facilities, funding , supervisors - what is not to like. And a PhD in a ?science subject - go for it*

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I know I dont belong in this sub forum but I cant find anyone active who could help. Might some of you answer some questions I would appriciate it, thanks

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.