?
Report 11 years ago
Realistically, I'd hope to have retired by 60
Duran Duran
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I reckon you'd actually reach your peak at 45 and then the old age is actually a negative factor. I'd like to earn at least £ 40k by today's standards - ideally £50-100 k.
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think there has been a shift recently in attitudes towards work.

I think for the last generation getting the best job possible and dealing with (all the extra crap/stress it brings) it to get as much money/status as possible was 'all that' but nowadays I have certainly seen a trend amongst students/young people where they are less willing to do jobs they hate for money - i.e they want a lot more job satisfaction.
Chumbaniya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I expect, given the qualifications I intend to achieve, I'd be quite capable of earning in excess of 100k by the time I'm in my 40s. However, I don't expect to ever earn more than 40k, and I'll be happy with just enough to buy food and rent something which has space for a bed if I'm doing a job I genuinely have a passion for. I really can't bring myself to care about money at all.
NW8_SW1_EC3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would like to be earning a 6 figure salary.
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm planning on being a teacher, so I would expect to be making around 41K by today's standards when I'm 60. But if I was in a leadership position, like head teacher, I could make up to 100K.

Of course, I can't expect to know what career I'll be doing in 41 years from now, let alone my salary.

I'll be making 30K when I'm 23, if I get a teaching job in central London.
randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
100K plzkthx.

More realistically, 40K+ would do nicely.
Clubber Lang
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by more adventurous)
I'm planning on being a teacher, so I would expect to be making around 41K by today's standards when I'm 60. But if I was in a leadership position, like head teacher, I could make up to 100K.

Of course, I can't expect to know what career I'll be doing in 41 years from now, let alone my salary.

I'll be making 30K when I'm 23, if I get a teaching job in central London.
Well, slightly OT but I was looking at the Times Education job section today (not sure when the paper was from) and they had something crazy like 10 pages full of headteacher jobs..you'd think half the schools in the country had no headteachers - so if its still like that in 25 years you might be in luck!

figures generally seemed to be 50-80k tho some went higher. A lot of general management jobs lfying around that dont actually inlcude teaching (or the ability to teach) - which is how i think the schools of the future will be run.
louisedotcom
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ive always been quite ambitious regarding salary.
At my peak, id hope to be making about £70,000

Might never happen, but its what im aiming for.
Just some guy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Heck as much as possible! But hopefully something around 200K. That won't seem like as much as it is now because of inflation (at 2% inflation in 50 years 200K is worth about 74K nowadays. meh.)
Artemidoros.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
With my degree I'd hopefully start with 30-35k and eventually could be any figure really.
Lady_Muck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My brother has just started on £35k and he's 24, given the degree I am doing I think it's doubtful I'll start on that. I'd like to start on about £25-30k in the City.

Once I get to £100,000 (hopefully not too far into my thirties) be it single income or supplemented by property rental, I'll retire and have kids, if my husband is earning enough to give me a lavish lifestyle without me working
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Christ... anything over £20k would be a start for me...
Tagit
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Lady_Muck)
My brother has just started on £35k and he's 24, given the degree I am doing I think it's doubtful I'll start on that.
What degree did he do?

45K and upwards is my aim on basis my partner also has a reasonable salary.
Lady_Muck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oxford Medic
Clemence
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
By the time I'm 60 I would hope that I had already had a job which paid well enough so that I didn't have to work at that age :p:

But at the best of my career I hope to be earning at least 40,000

EDIT: actually at least 50k ... I like to aim high :p:
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I intend to marry into money.
Clemence
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Libertin du Nord)
I intend to marry into money.
I don't intend to marry, which leaves more money for me :rolleyes:
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RedSilk)
I don't intend to marry, which leaves more money for me :rolleyes:
Well, assuming you didn't marry a cad like myself, you may well find that marriage is very convenient. Two salaries, after all - the ability to buy and inhabit a larger house with a larger mortgage etc.
Clemence
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Libertin du Nord)
Well, assuming you didn't marry a cad like myself, you may well find that marriage is very convenient. Two salaries, after all - the ability to buy and inhabit a larger house with a larger mortgage etc.
What makes you think I couldn't get a larger house by myself :p:
I have high ambitions for myself (perhaps a little too high :rolleyes:) but we can all dream.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (280)
80.46%
Leave (68)
19.54%

Watched Threads