Salary Aims Watch

Ross_j
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
only financial goal is to be a millionaire by im 30. dont really know what that means though to be honest as in cash/assets/what? should be earning at least 50 a year two years after i finish uni then it gives me 7 years to properly establish myself - if all goes to plan!
Dark and Lovely
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Libertin du Nord)
No doubt if Premier Brown had his way, you'd be working til 72.

Premier Brown can jog on if he thinks of implementing that...but quite a few 72 yrs have no choice but to work!-He should sort out pensions before he tries to raise the retirement age.
Dark and Lovely
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Libertin du Nord)
Because we're not average. TSR is vastly weighted towards the upper-middle class, as pointed out by many. I believe the last survey indicated something like 25% of us went to independent schools, compared to an 8% national figure - and I'll bet you my bottom pound note that a good fraction of the remainder went to 'best in the county' state schools.

With the majority of the rest being exceptional students at their average to way below average students-probz making them all the more ambitious.
hermaphrodite
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Dark and Lovely)
Premier Brown can jog on if he thinks of implementing that...but quite a few 72 yrs have no choice but to work!-He should sort out pensions before he tried to raise the retirement age.
Is he not a Qualified Actuarial Scientist?
Dark and Lovely
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by hermaphrodite)
Is he not a Qualified Actuarial Scientist?
Is he...all i know about his qualifications-educational are that he studied history at uni and then became a politics lecturer.
hermaphrodite
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I must be completely wrong then.
Dark and Lovely
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^ are you being sarcastic? It's hard to tell sometimes.
hermaphrodite
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No. That's what someone told me. Given he was the Chancellor, I took their word for it. Anyway, you have nothing to worry about, someone quoted you, and it says you're aiming for 200k.
devils_nose
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
£45k (and that probably won't be wildly above the average in 30 years time) That is what I expect to earn, obviously I would like it if I could earn more though.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Dark and Lovely)
Premier Brown can jog on if he thinks of implementing that...but quite a few 72 yrs have no choice but to work!-He should sort out pensions before he tries to raise the retirement age.
Arguably, raising the retirement age is one way to sort out pensions. Frankly though, I'd be more inclined to take a good hard look at public service retirement plans. Millions of people retiring on 90% salary index linked while the rest of us poor ****ers have to plough on until we drop. Something ain't right.
lapsaJ
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
7 figures (£), earlier than 60 though.
Kater Murr
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm not upper middle class - i'm working class, but working on it My mum tax fraud's for extra benefits... i'm not proud or anything, but she doesn't want a job (i told her it was wrong...)

Anyway - I wanna do a masters then maybe a Phd if i'm good enough in english lit, then about 25K would be good; but if i was doing a job i was truly proud of/happy in doing, i'd easily work for minimum wage.
Jayk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
More than my mum...less than my Dad. So anything between £22k and <embarrassingly large sum> then...

But honestly I agree with...erm...*checks back a few pages*...AverageGuyOnTheStreet; I'd rather earn **** all in a job I really enjoy than half a mil in a job I hate.
All at once
Report 11 years ago
All these people with the romantic ideas of thinking they'll be happy earning minimum wage doing "something they love" are really bull****ting themselves.
Kater Murr
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by All at once)
All these people with the romantic ideas of thinking they'll be happy earning minimum wage doing "something they love" are really bull****ting themselves.
I don't think that's true at all - not at all.
I can't exactly describe why, but I KNOW what makes me happy - and I'd go to lengths if I had an ambition I knew was achievable.

Heck, if it was achievable, I'd live in a bedsit to get somewhere!
Throwback
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just my opinion, but I think it's also quite a selfish stance to take if you're planning on having kids and starting a family in the future - wouldn't you want to give your family a decent and comfortable life instead of just scraping by because you chose to settle for a low wage for doing 'something that you love'. I'm not going through uni and having high ambitions of a well paid job just so I can buy myself designer handbags for the rest of my life - it's so that when I do settle down and start my own family, they'll be looked after and I'll be able to provide my kids a better childhood than I had when I was younger.
Cortez
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Agreed. You can't exactly do much with your life earning minimum wage!
Kater Murr
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
[QUOTE][Just my opinion, but I think it's also quite a selfish stance to take if you're planning on having kids and starting a family in the future - wouldn't you want to give your family a decent and comfortable life instead of just scraping by because you chose to settle for a low wage for doing 'something that you love'. I'm not going through uni and having high ambitions of a well paid job just so I can buy myself designer handbags for the rest of my life - it's so that when I do settle down and start my own family, they'll be looked after and I'll be able to provide my kids a better childhood than I had when I was younger./QUOTE]

I wouldn't have kids if I didn't have enough money to look after them - besides the fact that I'd probably have a husband = double wage.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to spoil my kids silly, I think having the time and love for them is far more important.
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Maybe, maybe not.

I dont plan on doing something 'i love' - BUT -

I also dont plan on doing something i hate - which MORE THAN LIKELY will involve a job with a lot of stress for a lot of money.
Caribou
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just under the threshold for being a higher rate tax payer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (197)
27.86%
No (510)
72.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise