The journal of 'The Piphany'

Announcements

Yes, I'm reserving this place for a blog on my student life. Most of the fresher blogs on this forum don't seem to last for very long, and the same might be true of this one. But it'll be nice to have a written record of what I will have done when I'm finished my studying. So I'll see how it goes.

Mature. Mathematics. Cambridge. Here we come.

Some context:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I grew up in quite a religious Jewish family and community, and didn't get a chance to do GCSEs in the school I attended. I then attended a sequence of religious colleges internationally, before dropping out. I still don't have any GSCEs, I spent two years studying A Levels. I don't consider myself religious at all at the moment.
    I am very prone to anxiety and depression, I have had to get treatment for this in the past.

Flashback to interviews:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The process of applying to university can be quite a prolonged stressful experience. The process of applying to Cambridge for Mathematics was certainly stressful for me. There are quite a few milestones along the way, with early deadlines for UCAS applications, receiving an interview invitation, going to interviews, receiving the conditional offer, sitting the exams together with the STEP exams, and then the wait to find out whether you have made it or not.
    I somehow manage to get so nervous in exams and interviews so as to practically render myself incapable of any logical thought processes whatsoever. I realise that this isn't a profitable approach, but it's the unconscious mind that does most of the work to trigger this effect. I can tell myself during a STEP exam that a shaking hand is unlikely to be of much help, but that won't necessarily have the desired outcome.
    In John's we weren't given a pre-interview test, we rather had three short interviews, each scheduled for about 20 minutes, with the second two being interviews for applied and pure Mathematics. I ended up with a few hours between my first interview and the second two, part of which time I spent lying on my back in some nearby park, staring at the sky, the rest of which I spent sitting outside a public toilet, in light drizzle, trying to do STEP II questions.
    The third interview was certainly the most painful. Not being able to answer the first question isn't a good start. Is it pity in their eyes when they move on to the next question, after me struggling to follow the solution of the counting problem they first posed? Anyways, the counting problem wasn't that interesting, and I don't remember the details of the solution at all.
    One of the questions I was asked was about proving there was an infinity of primes that left a remainder of 3 when divided by 4. I couldn't do this one on my own either, but I was able to reconstruct the proof they showed me after the interview.
    Some time later, I was at the UCL Mathematics open day, and a lecturer, giving a taster for university Mathematics, poses the same question to the attendees. I, being an absolute idiot, decided to answer the question. It didn't go that bad. The lecturer then went on to explain a little how this idea related to these curious objects called 'Gaussian integers'. He didn't go into depth.
    I was reminded about this interview experience recently, chatting to fellow fresher mathematicians on Facebook. The 'Gaussian integer' idea sounds like a nice one, and I've been doing some reading around the subject. There is a related set of objects called the 'Eisenstein integers'.

So I went to an event organised by the JSoc last night, in London. It was nice, but I spent most of the time sitting alone.
    The Chaplain was really nice, and we chatted a little.

ReputationRep:
    nice blog

ReputationRep:
    Good luck, sounds like you've had quite a journey so far.

(Original post by Number Nine)
    nice blog
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Why did u leave the fb group.
    Was there too much banter

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by physicsmaths)
    Why did u leave the fb group.
    Was there too much banter

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

How are things going? Looking forward to reading the next blog! Let me know when you've added more content and I'll promote across the site

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.