Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I started working at an Argos store, it just a retail store where am I required to work on the tills, dealing with customers, and to work in the stock room.I started about two months ago and signed a temporary contract till Christmas, it grants me 10 hours a week guaranteed work, lowest weeks I do 15 hours, but I usually do 20 -25 hours a week, and Christmas time I imagine I would be doing at least 30 hours a week. However, recently I've been offered another job as a drivers mate, working from 6am until 4pm Monday to Friday, and its slightly higher pay per hour.I am only planning on working until next year anyway, as i am trying to save up money, as I plan on going travelling Aus for a year next January. None of these jobs is something that I want to do in the future, I've just graduated this summer, but this is my real first job working so I am concerned it would look bad if I quit early. I am not really enjoying it, I also could be doing better on my targets with sales on the till, something that one of the managers has had a word to me about.Overall, though, I really enjoy the people I work with, and I think it may look better on my CV to say that I worked for Argos for 6 months, especially since I will be needing to find work when travelling. However, I am going to have more guaranteed income if I was to take the drives mate job - which I need as I am skint . It will also be an easier job. If I do quit, though, I have no idea how I would tell Argos, they are already having problems keeping staff on as most quit after a week, and I do like the managers who deals with that sort of stuff.Any advice?Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible for you to do both? If not then maybe try for a little while and decide which job you prefer before quitting one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply.

No I can't unfortunately, I think the dpd would be better for me, I have no idea how I should go about quitting Argos though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlwaysFindingPie)
    Thanks for the reply.

No I can't unfortunately, I think the dpd would be better for me, I have no idea how I should go about quitting Argos though.
    whats your pay at argos, i remember the under waged me like £6 pound per hour, i quit cause i didnt like my manager. seems like you are havign a great time being part of argos.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply.

Talk to your boss

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samzy21)
    Talk to your boss

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I think you are right. Should I just say I have had a better job offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Light Venom)
    whats your pay at argos, i remember the under waged me like £6 pound per hour, i quit cause i didnt like my manager. seems like you are havign a great time being part of argos.
    I am on £6.78 an hour and my pay has been fine since I started. When you quit was you on a temp job and did you had to serve notice? When I started I signed a contract and they gave me a handbook regarding procedures working there. In the handbook, it says you need to refer to your contract how long notice you need to give, and then my copy of contract does say anything about what i should do if i quit.

ReputationRep:
    I am on £6.78 an hour and my pay has been fine since I started. When you quit was you on a temp job and did you had to serve notice? When I started I signed a contract and they gave me a handbook regarding procedures working there. In the handbook, it says you need to refer to your contract how long notice you need to give, and then my copy of contract does say anything about what i should do if i quit.
    tbh my manager didnt like me ( because of my religion) ok fine, i got paid and what not, but whenever I use to pray during my breaks upstairs ( im muslim btw), after i finished praying he would tell me off ( i dont think he likes me praying and I didnt do anything wrong), and then changes my contract and make me work less hours, and tells me to work at another argos which is 10 miles away from me. I gave him an email i found another job and would like to work and quit. he was very rude to me and i hated it, worst experience of my life. I personally think half the stuff he did to me was illegal.

I work as an independent contractor now ( technically i am) and now work whenever I want, I am my own boss and do the work my own instead of relying on someone else switching at me half the time.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think you are right. Should I just say I have had a better job offer?
    just say you want to resign and if you are asked why then say you have a job offer. It would be a good idea to get a reference from your boss for future jobs.

Have you accepted the new job yet? If not, do it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samzy21)
    just say you want to resign and if you are asked why then say you have a job offer. It would be a good idea to get a reference from your boss for future jobs.

Have you accepted the new job yet? If not, do it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I am going to speak to someone next time I am in work. I haven't accepted the other job offer yet, I wasn't actively looking for another job, but my friend and his manager have been in contact and told me its mine if i want it, i have till next Wednesday to accept.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Light Venom;67602256]tbh my manager didnt like me ( because of my religion) ok fine, i got paid and what not, but whenever I use to pray during my breaks upstairs ( im muslim btw), after i finished praying he would tell me off ( i dont think he likes me praying and I didnt do anything wrong), and then changes my contract and make me work less hours, and tells me to work at another argos which is 10 miles away from me. I gave him an email i found another job and would like to work and quit. he was very rude to me and i hated it, worst experience of my life. I personally think half the stuff he did to me was illegal.

I work as an independent contractor now ( technically i am) and now work whenever I want, I am my own boss and do the work my own instead of relying on someone else switching at me half the time.[/Q

Yeah, he sounds like **** it's a good job you left and I would have done the same. I don't have that divide with my managers but this job I think will be better.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.