Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Basically I've started studying at a certain college after the Sixth Form I wanted was full becuase I applied late.

I don't particularly dislike the place I am at, I just want to study at the Sixth Form...

So I looked into doing Yr13 there after AS...I was just wondering when I apply for a transfer of credit, how it works and if it was possible?

Thank you in advance for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harris26)
    Hi guys,

Basically I've started studying at a certain college after the Sixth Form I wanted was full becuase I applied late.

I don't particularly dislike the place I am at, I just want to study at the Sixth Form...

So I looked into doing Yr13 there after AS...I was just wondering when I apply for a transfer of credit, how it works and if it was possible?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Depends what you are studying at the college and what you will study at the sixth form.
    If it's A levels in the same subjects with same examiners there's nothing to do.
    If it's the same modular A level subjects but with different examiners then your exams officer will take care of it when you start the new sixth form. Transfer of credit is possible for almost all subjects.
    If it's the same reformed Linear A levels then again there's no transfer of credit to worry about but you will need to ensure that you take care of any differences between the specifications.
    Have you discussed the transfer with the new sixth form? Are they willing to do it? If you are applying to Uni, how will they handle your reference and grade predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    Depends what you are studying at the college and what you will study at the sixth form.
    If it's A levels in the same subjects with same examiners there's nothing to do.
    If it's the same modular A level subjects but with different examiners then your exams officer will take care of it when you start the new sixth form. Transfer of credit is possible for almost all subjects.
    If it's the same reformed Linear A levels then again there's no transfer of credit to worry about but you will need to ensure that you take care of any differences between the specifications.
    Have you discussed the transfer with the new sixth form? Are they willing to do it? If you are applying to Uni, how will they handle your reference and grade predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Essentially I will be doing the exact same subjects (Bio, Chem and psychology) so I was wondering how I go about applying for it and what grades they use to judge me off? Would they use my predicted grades? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Essentially I will be doing the exact same subjects (Bio, Chem and psychology) so I was wondering how I go about applying for it and what grades they use to judge me off? Would they use my predicted grades? Thanks.
    I'm assuming you are a candidate in England. (If you are a candidate in Wales, Northern Ireland or International then the rules and arrangements are not the same)
    If so all of your subjects are the new linear subjects where any AS result does not count towards the final A level. So there is no credit to transfer.
    There may be slight differences in the specifications if they are different examiners or in what your teachers have chosen to cover with you which may mean you have to catch up on some stuff in your own time.
    I can't say what your new school might do with your UCAS predictions and reference, that would be something to discuss with them if you decide to ask for a place. Any year 12 exam results or final predictions would certainly be considered.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    I'm assuming you are a candidate in England. (If you are a candidate in Wales, Northern Ireland or International then the rules and arrangements are not the same)
    If so all of your subjects are the new linear subjects where any AS result does not count towards the final A level. So there is no credit to transfer.
    There may be slight differences in the specifications if they are different examiners or in what your teachers have chosen to cover with you which may mean you have to catch up on some stuff in your own time.
    I can't say what your new school might do with your UCAS predictions and reference, that would be something to discuss with them if you decide to ask for a place. Any year 12 exam results or final predictions would certainly be considered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    2/3 courses would be different exam boards, but I guess if what you are saying is true then I shouldn't be too worried...yeah I guess it would be difficult to catch up but not impossible. How would I go about applying for this, and when would be the best time?

ReputationRep:
    2/3 courses would be different exam boards, but I guess if what you are saying is true then I shouldn't be too worried...yeah I guess it would be difficult to catch up but not impossible. How would I go about applying for this, and when would be the best time?
    I don't know that there's a best time to try and switch schools. I'd give it until half term and then contact your preferred sixth form and ask if you can come in to talk to someone about the possibility of a transfer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I'd have thougt it would be entirelay at the discretion of the referred sixth form. Its not going to help if 2/3 are different exam boards, so you need to be ready to reassure them about that. Can you be sure they are the same modules from the syllabus?

You stand best chance if you have great marks at AS. All you need to know is whether they do ir do not accept transfers and what the cirteria are. If they do, then start building up some sort of communication with either heads of department or sixth form to show how keen you are and they cna see your progress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I'd have thougt it would be entirelay at the discretion of the referred sixth form. Its not going to help if 2/3 are different exam boards, so you need to be ready to reassure them about that. Can you be sure they are the same modules from the syllabus?

You stand best chance if you have great marks at AS. All you need to know is whether they do ir do not accept transfers and what the cirteria are. If they do, then start building up some sort of communication with either heads of department or sixth form to show how keen you are and they cna see your progress.
    I'll probably be going to speak to them soon and find out exactly what I require and if they do accept transfers of credit and if they'd let me in. Thank you btw, I appreciate the help

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.