The Student Room Group

Uni HELP, ASAP

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to apply to veterinary medicine this year. However I have heard from numerous places that they look at you as a person all round. So apart from grades and work experience they also look at your extra circular activity.

I was wondering what sorts of extracircular activity they look for. At the moment, I play the bagpipes and I am in a band (have done so for 6 years), have my own horse (been riding for 8 years) and swim twice a week ( ive been at the same club for 10 years).

However I don't compete much at all. Ocassionally we have one or two competitions in my pipe band but other than that they are more leisure acitivities and for fun or to keep fit.

It is also making me nervous that most of my classmates do about 5 extra circular acitivites - usually things like hockey, debating and drama, which all mean they compete lots or put on a lot of shows.

So first of all am I doing enough or should I look into joining more clubs? secondly, does competing make your extra circular activity look better and therefore you score more highly in their eyes? and last of all if I don't compete how can I prove that I do all these things because there is no one they can contact and show evidence I have done all this?

Many thanks
Laura
Original post by Student_118
Hi everyone,

I am hoping to apply to veterinary medicine this year. However I have heard from numerous places that they look at you as a person all round. So apart from grades and work experience they also look at your extra circular activity.

I was wondering what sorts of extracircular activity they look for. At the moment, I play the bagpipes and I am in a band (have done so for 6 years), have my own horse (been riding for 8 years) and swim twice a week ( ive been at the same club for 10 years).

However I don't compete much at all. Ocassionally we have one or two competitions in my pipe band but other than that they are more leisure acitivities and for fun or to keep fit.

It is also making me nervous that most of my classmates do about 5 extra circular acitivites - usually things like hockey, debating and drama, which all mean they compete lots or put on a lot of shows.

So first of all am I doing enough or should I look into joining more clubs? secondly, does competing make your extra circular activity look better and therefore you score more highly in their eyes? and last of all if I don't compete how can I prove that I do all these things because there is no one they can contact and show evidence I have done all this?

Many thanks
Laura

Firstly - stop panicking.

Secondly I didn't do half of that! I played the flute and piano, and attended young farmers, that's about it. You do not need to be one of these people who competes at national level who plays the triangle, tuba and clarinet grade 8 and who is also head girl, it really isn't necessary. You also don't have to prove any of it. Just be a normal well rounded person, I said in my personal statement I liked reading and baking... I'm nothing special ha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
^^ What Lizziefickling said :smile:

I didn't compete in anything or play any instruments and I got all my offers :tongue: You do way more than I did, all I had was Scouts, NCS and some awards :tongue: They won't ask you for evidence of what you do. While they do care about your extracurriculars, it's mostly about how well you can write about them in your personal statement. Someone that has canoed across the Atlantic ocean while playing the tuba isn't in any way necessarily better than someone who does less, but can better comment on how it helped them develop as a person and why it would make them a better vet/student.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
^^ What Lizziefickling said :smile:

I didn't compete in anything or play any instruments and I got all my offers :tongue: You do way more than I did, all I had was Scouts, NCS and some awards :tongue: They won't ask you for evidence of what you do. While they do care about your extracurriculars, it's mostly about how well you can write about them in your personal statement. Someone that has canoed across the Atlantic ocean while playing the tuba isn't in any way necessarily better than someone who does less, but can better comment on how it helped them develop as a person and why it would make them a better vet/student.

Not even sure you can fit a tuba in a canoe 😏

Posted from TSR Mobile
Playing the bagpipes will come in handy if you ever need to handle an octopus. Or a screeching cat.

Seriously, you'll be fine. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending