This discussion is closed.
ForeverIsMyName
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by abc101)
What does Q.E.D mean?! :confused:
"That which is to be demonstrated" - Basically, "My point exactly" in this context. Anyone who isn't an ancient Greek mathematician who uses it (Especially in debates) usually uses it to mean "AHHHH TOLD YOU SO, IN YOUR FACES, *****EZ!"
abc101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
"That which is to be demonstrated" - Basically, "My point exactly" in this context. Anyone who isn't an ancient Greek mathematician who uses it (Especially in debates) usually uses it to mean "AHHHH TOLD YOU SO, IN YOUR FACES, *****EZ!"
Ah right, thankyou for enlightening me!
moves-my-world
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's happening to me at the minute, it pisses me off something shocking but it sure does keep me keen haha
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't like it, but it works, to an extent. I've found when someone I like is actually really nice to me and pays me a lot of attention, I go off them a little bit, just for a while. It feels like they've lost some of their attractiveness because, if they're interested in me, they must not be as great as I thought they were, which I think is to do with your own self-esteem and self-image. When someone's being more difficult, I think it makes your feelings for them stronger - you always want what you can't have. But after a bit, it just gets annoying. If it goes on for too long, you just think, 'Stuff it, it's never gonna happen, I'm fed up of this' and try to move on, so it can backfire.
I agree. I'll be receptive to someone that thinks I'm 'the ****', but only where it's plausible; i.e. (to my mind) where the verdict doesn't hinge upon my looks. However, I set such little stock in my aesthetic appeal by default that I will become deferential and 'clingy' to somebody that has ostensibly factored my physical attractiveness into the equation as being immaterial. So I would concur that a modicum of arrogance (or at least, confidence and self-assurance) is pre-requisite to 'playing hard to get'. If you're ugly, as I am, yet capable of doing so, one of two conclusions presents: you don't find your would-be suitor to be especially attractive, ergo their appeal is greatly diminished (if not wholly negated) and compensated only by their willingness to undertake a vastly disproportionate quotient of the 'leg-work'; or you aren't subject to the 'relationship imperative', ergo, despite their exerting a not-insignificant appeal, you'd just as soon substitute strawberry ice-cream.
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ah right, thankyou for enlightening me!
E.g.

Suffice it to say that the 'hard to get' strategy is highly unlikely to work on me of late, or indeed on anyone else as apathetic as I have become.
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
:ditto: It's maths terminology for "...so basically I'm right".
Yellowmarshmellow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I always go for people i can't have but if they are too 'mean' then i'll move on and find someone who actually shows some sort of interest otherwise what's the point?
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No way! Girls get approached by nice guys all the time, it gets extremely boring for them - It's natural for them to look for something different, something to keep them interested... guys who are a little bit arrogant who aren't prepared to chase them or really make the effort are the ones who are really quite good at this, simply because they don't view the girls they like as above or better than themselves, but because they view themselves as equals; the "nice guy" thing is a tried, tested and failed way of keeping girls interested.
You are talking about them as if I know nothing about girls. :p: Stop it with the generalisations - you are actually talking to someone who doesn't feel like that at all.
ForeverIsMyName
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Stop it with the generalisations - you are actually talking to someone who doesn't feel like that at all.
Lies, all lies!

:p:
ßlαcksωαn
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ichamackalooloo)
What do you think of this idea?

Do you practise it, or has someone done it to you? If so, what was the outcome?
Yeah I like to do it. Though I can't say I like it done to me as much...
mrs_bellamy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No way! Girls get approached by nice guys all the time, it gets extremely boring for them - It's natural for them to look for something different, something to keep them interested... guys who are a little bit arrogant who aren't prepared to chase them or really make the effort are the ones who are really quite good at this, simply because they don't view the girls they like as above or better than themselves, but because they view themselves as equals; the "nice guy" thing is a tried, tested and failed way of keeping girls interested.
Completely agree!! I hate nice guys, i just get bored so quickly. the whole tret em mean thing sounds so stupid, but it does work on a lot of girls. i love a bit of arrogance. some guys take it too far though, and then it really doesnt work.

i also hate when genuine dislike, or even contempt, is misinterpreted as playing hard to get! It's like, no, I actually do hate you!
omg i hate this aswell.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
From witnessing a couple of my friends who are so afflicted, I can safely say that debasing oneself in order to find a partner never works.

Meanwhile, as a formerly arrogant individual, I can point to a good amount of success based on being a little bit of a *******. It's certainly not intentional; I've just never understood this idea of thinking that anyone is better than me.
Music_Enthusiast
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ichamackalooloo)
What do you think of this idea?

Do you practise it, or has someone done it to you? If so, what was the outcome?
I always practice, everynight, to my pillow. But I can never seem to pull it off at school.
Sundous
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm only mean if I'm not interested and that person is being to clingy or I can't be bothered talking to that person. But overall I like to be nice and I like nice people, the rest can **** off :hmmm:
dazmanultra
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It means don't put the pussy on a pedestal
tempo
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
I agree. I'll be receptive to someone that thinks I'm 'the ****', but only where it's plausible; i.e. (to my mind) where the verdict doesn't hinge upon my looks. However, I set such little stock in my aesthetic appeal by default that I will become deferential and 'clingy' to somebody that has ostensibly factored my physical attractiveness into the equation as being immaterial. So I would concur that a modicum of arrogance (or at least, confidence and self-assurance) is pre-requisite to 'playing hard to get'. If you're ugly, as I am, yet capable of doing so, one of two conclusions presents: you don't find your would-be suitor to be especially attractive, ergo their appeal is greatly diminished (if not wholly negated) and compensated only by their willingness to undertake a vastly disproportionate quotient of the 'leg-work'; or you aren't subject to the 'relationship imperative', ergo, despite their exerting a not-insignificant appeal, you'd just as soon substitute strawberry ice-cream.
you should really learn how to crawl before you try to run (lynguistically speaking )
LipGloss
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've learned the hard way that "mean" is the only way the losers I seem to fall for deserve to be treated.
kizer
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tempo)
you should really learn how to crawl before you try to run (lynguistically speaking )
Was that meant to be ironic?

Anyway, what I understand by the 'treat 'em mean' thing is don't be a clingy, whiny doormat, and that's definitely a good idea.
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tempo)
Well, this makes no sense.
Consie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
heh, i put that at the end of my GCSE maths coursework.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads