Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Help - advice needed on current job situation - please! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I work for an educational agency as a trainee teacher. I took the job 2 weeks ago, but there are a few things that have come up recently that are concerning me that I would love some advice on.

When I took the position, I read loads and loads of online reviews about the company, and did research on agency roles generally. This prompted me to make sure before I took the role that I would not lose a cut of my pay to the agency or anyone affiliated to the agency. The person who employed me told me, in writing and over the phone, several times, that no money would be taken from my pay check to pay them or to pay the umbrella company they were using to pay staff.

However, I just received my first pay check and there has been a cut removed. I called the company who handle the pay roll, and they said that they DO take a cute of wages, every week. It comes to 5% a week of my wage, so it's not a huge amount, but I feel annoyed because of the principle of the guy lying to me.

Alongside the payroll thing, I have recently found out that my landlord will not be renewing my tenancy when it ends next May. I am fine with this, as it is a short-term tenancy and the landlord is within his rights to do this. He wants to sell the property. This means that though my trainee teacher programme will be 2 years long, I won't be in the right area to continue the second year once my tenancy ends anyway! I decided to send an email immediately over to the agency to ask about my options, and the man called me. He told me he had 'never said that there was no charge' and that 'essentially it isn't a charge anyway' and that if I were to quit, as 'it sounds like you are pretty much done with it anyway' then he would see me as a disappointment. He also said, 'headteachers talk, and whether it is right or wrong, if you were to quit, names might be mentioned and who knows if you would find another job, you wouldn't want to shoot yourself in the foot as a trainee before you have even begun.'

I was quite relaxed and not really thinking of quitting yet, but after the way he spoke to me, which was quite intimidating, I now feel uncomfortable. Am I being overdramatic? Am I in the wrong? Please help! Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know the answer but the agency guy sounds like a manipulative little whatsit.

ReputationRep:
    If he said it in writing surely you can use that against him?

ReputationRep:
    Are you a member of a union? It sounds to me you could do with some legal help from them. They would be able to ensure that this guy cannot get away with badmouthing you if you do decide to quit and may be able to help with the pay too if you have evidence that he lied to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmrich)
    I work for an educational agency as a trainee teacher. I took the job 2 weeks ago, but there are a few things that have come up recently that are concerning me that I would love some advice on.

When I took the position, I read loads and loads of online reviews about the company, and did research on agency roles generally. This prompted me to make sure before I took the role that I would not lose a cut of my pay to the agency or anyone affiliated to the agency. The person who employed me told me, in writing and over the phone, several times, that no money would be taken from my pay check to pay them or to pay the umbrella company they were using to pay staff.

However, I just received my first pay check and there has been a cut removed. I called the company who handle the pay roll, and they said that they DO take a cute of wages, every week. It comes to 5% a week of my wage, so it's not a huge amount, but I feel annoyed because of the principle of the guy lying to me.

Alongside the payroll thing, I have recently found out that my landlord will not be renewing my tenancy when it ends next May. I am fine with this, as it is a short-term tenancy and the landlord is within his rights to do this. He wants to sell the property. This means that though my trainee teacher programme will be 2 years long, I won't be in the right area to continue the second year once my tenancy ends anyway! I decided to send an email immediately over to the agency to ask about my options, and the man called me. He told me he had 'never said that there was no charge' and that 'essentially it isn't a charge anyway' and that if I were to quit, as 'it sounds like you are pretty much done with it anyway' then he would see me as a disappointment. He also said, 'headteachers talk, and whether it is right or wrong, if you were to quit, names might be mentioned and who knows if you would find another job, you wouldn't want to shoot yourself in the foot as a trainee before you have even begun.'

I was quite relaxed and not really thinking of quitting yet, but after the way he spoke to me, which was quite intimidating, I now feel uncomfortable. Am I being overdramatic? Am I in the wrong? Please help! Thank you.
    1) Why can't you find a new place in the same area you are in now, so you can continue your teacher training?
    2) As far as the agency goes, I agree with Pierson that you really need expert advice, but being able to provide the written proof that the agency wouldnt' take a cut from your pay woud help.

ReputationRep:
    trainee teachers get free membership of NUT and NASUWT (I'm sure terms and conditions apply - so please check for yourself) but that could help you in joining a union and getting helpful advice.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.