Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm having real trouble writing my personal statement, mostly because I've never done anything outside of school that would be relevant to my course (unless you count a Philosophy Club in year 10 and NCS, but I can't relate them to my course). What should I do? Should I just hyper focus on my academic work? Or should I make it up a little? I really have no idea.

I'm taking a Science BTEC, and applying for Biomedical Science. I was also thinking of writing about a trip to CERN in high school, which was really educational and interesting, but since I'm not applying for a Physics course, would this look like I don't understand the course?

ReputationRep:
    Not everything in your personal statement has to be directly related to your course. You can talk about extra curricular things you've done and relate the skills you've learnt/used in those activities to skills that will be helpful for the course. Extra stuff that isn't related also makes you sound like you don't just get home from school and sit on your bum all the time.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Your main focus should be on your course, with a bit of extra curricular stuff. You could do some reading/watch some lectures online around the subject, and talk about why they interested you
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Echoing the above. Plus, it's important to start doing something extracurricular. Not because we think it's the done thing, but because if you want to break into something in later years at college/uni/local, you'll find it much easier if you've had some experience in it. Plus it's a good line or so of your Personal Statement and something interesting to talk about at interview, something you're familiar with and can talk about in a relaxed and fluent way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.