Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi guys. I want to study Law (LLB) at university. I'm applying to the following universities:-

1. University of Warwick
    2. University of York
    3. University of Birmingham
    4. Cardiff University

I have absolutely no idea what university to apply to as my fifth choice next year so my head of sixth form suggested that I apply to either Oxford or Cambridge. At first I burst out laughing because I thought surely he can't be serious with my GCSE results?

English Literature - B
    English Language - B
    Graphic Products - B
    Media Studies - B
    Mathematics - C
    Core Science - C
    Additional Science - C
    BTEC Level 2 in Business Studies - Merit
    BTEC Level 2 in Health & Social Care - Distinction*
    OCR Cambridge Nationals in ICT - Pass

Look, I know what you're thinking. I really do. The truth of it is, I simply didn't care back then. I couldn't care less whether I went to university let alone Oxford or Cambridge. I chose appalling GCSE options, I know. I wanted the least amount of examinations possible (hence the BTEC's). I didn't revise for my GCSE's at all and I only made an application to my school's sixth form on results day. Believe me, I really do regret my poor decisions. I was far more interested in going out with my friends than actually sitting down and looking at a school book every now and again but obviously there is no going back now. I can't rewind time (hell, I wish I could). I chose A levels in Law, Psychology and Philosophy & Ethics last year (I achieved AS grades CCC without any revision). I had a MASSIVE brainstorm on AS results day and I really began to reconsider my options. So the next day I got in touch with another sixth form in my area exactly a week before we were due to start the new school year and asked if there was any possible chance of doing years 12 and 13 again at their school, they agreed and now I'm doing A levels in History, English Language and Literature (combined), Religious Studies and Sociology (obviously these options are A LOT more suited to the course I wish to study at university than my previous choices). I really really really know that I can achieve good grades if I apply myself (and I am going to do exactly that, believe me).

I just don't know whether Oxford or Cambridge will even CONSIDER my application due to my terrible GCSE results and the fact that I've started year 12 again but chosen different options. Not only that but I can't even present the universities with outstanding AS results due to the reform of A levels, I will only have my predicted grades. I mean, realistically, I guess I am punching above my weight with Warwick?

I'm just thinking if I make my personal statement the GREATEST, do I stand a chance with Oxbridge? Is it worth wasting my fifth choice on?

No harsh comments please. A simple yes or no will do nicely.

ReputationRep:
    Wait and see what your new AS results are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tantalised)
    Hi guys. I want to study Law (LLB) at university. I'm applying to the following universities:-

1. University of Warwick
    2. University of York
    3. University of Birmingham
    4. Cardiff University

I have absolutely no idea what university to apply to as my fifth choice next year so my head of sixth form suggested that I apply to either Oxford or Cambridge. At first I burst out laughing because I thought surely he can't be serious with my GCSE results?

English Literature - B
    English Language - B
    Graphic Products - B
    Media Studies - B
    Mathematics - C
    Core Science - C
    Additional Science - C
    BTEC Level 2 in Business Studies - Merit
    BTEC Level 2 in Health & Social Care - Distinction*
    OCR Cambridge Nationals in ICT - Pass

Look, I know what you're thinking. I really do. The truth of it is, I simply didn't care back then. I couldn't care less whether I went to university let alone Oxford or Cambridge. I chose appalling GCSE options, I know. I wanted the least amount of examinations possible (hence the BTEC's). I didn't revise for my GCSE's at all and I only made an application to my school's sixth form on results day. Believe me, I really do regret my poor decisions. I was far more interested in going out with my friends than actually sitting down and looking at a school book every now and again but obviously there is no going back now. I can't rewind time (hell, I wish I could). I chose A levels in Law, Psychology and Philosophy & Ethics last year (I achieved AS grades CCC without any revision). I had a MASSIVE brainstorm on AS results day and I really began to reconsider my options. So the next day I got in touch with another sixth form in my area exactly a week before we were due to start the new school year and asked if there was any possible chance of doing years 12 and 13 again at their school, they agreed and now I'm doing A levels in History, English Language and Literature (combined), Religious Studies and Sociology (obviously these options are A LOT more suited to the course I wish to study at university than my previous choices). I really really really know that I can achieve good grades if I apply myself (and I am going to do exactly that, believe me).

I just don't know whether Oxford or Cambridge will even CONSIDER my application due to my terrible GCSE results and the fact that I've started year 12 again but chosen different options. Not only that but I can't even present the universities with outstanding AS results due to the reform of A levels, I will only have my predicted grades. I mean, realistically, I guess I am punching above my weight with Warwick?

I'm just thinking if I make my personal statement the GREATEST, do I stand a chance with Oxbridge? Is it worth wasting my fifth choice on?

No harsh comments please. A simple yes or no will do nicely.
    Jurisprudence at Oxford is the 2nd best in the country. The selection process is extremely tough. Only 15% of applicants were accepted onto the course and I suspect that most of them had majority A* A grades at GCSE and did not retake their A levels. Unfortunately I believe it is very unlikely you will be considered for Oxford...

ReputationRep:
    As regards Oxford, it's extremely unlikely you'd get an interview with those GCSEs, and the thing to make up for it would certainly not be your personal statement (worth next to nothing) but rather a truly exceptional LNAT performance (as well as excellent predicted A-levels, obviously).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tantalised)

No. There are lots of great universities other than Oxbridge, choose another one of them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.