Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

18+ or 16+ oyster card? Confusing!!! Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheerupgrrl5:))
    Hey guys!
    On my account it says that I may still be eligible for a 16+ card but, I am starting university in a couple of weeks in london.
    Which one do I apply for? Is it new to apply for the 16+ now or do I just apply for the 18+ card?
    18+ for university students. The 16+ card is available to those aged 18 who are still in further education (e.g. 6th form), I got another one when I retook my A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    16+

(Original post by jelly1000)
    18+ for university students. The 16+ card is available to those aged 18 who are still in further education (e.g. 6th form), I got another one when I retook my A-Levels.
    ohh i see
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    ok thank you!

ReputationRep:
    18+

Be aware that they'll have to deliver it to a London address, so it may be worth waiting until you move in and get a term-time postcode address before you apply.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. If you are 18, you can apply for the 16+. If you are 19 however, you have to get 18+. I had the 16+ oyster throughout my first year at uni in London, which was great as I got free buses and cheaper tubes. Don't waste money getting the 18+ now!

You need to get the 18+ if you are 19 before August 30th 2017. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Id like to add university is still considered full-time education, so those saying you have to get 18+ if you are going to uni are incorrect. All of the first years who were 18 when starting the course Im in were able to get 16+
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Natashadesigner)
    Id like to add university is still considered full-time education, so those saying you have to get 18+ if you are going to uni are incorrect. All of the first years who were 18 when starting the course Im in were able to get 16+
    It says for the school/college stamp, won't the uniiversity be like waaat?
    How would they agree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheerupgrrl5:))
    It says for the school/college stamp, won't the uniiversity be like waaat?
    How would they agree?
    The universities have stamps too..When you get an 18+ I'm pretty sure the universities have to stamp that one as well! The only requirements for the 16+ is that u are in full time education and are 18 when you start the course.

ReputationRep:
    I remember both years, I had to take my forms to the desk and get them to stamp it for me
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Natashadesigner)
    Hi. If you are 18, you can apply for the 16+. If you are 19 however, you have to get 18+. I had the 16+ oyster throughout my first year at uni in London, which was great as I got free buses and cheaper tubes. Don't waste money getting the 18+ now!

You need to get the 18+ if you are 19 before August 30th 2017. Hope this helps
    How do you apply for the 16+? I dont live in London anymore, but I attend a sixth form in London. I'm also 18 and I made the account but it says i have to be 17 years and 11 month to collect the card. I called TFL helpline but they are all giving me different answers. I need help???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigMan Ting)
    How do you apply for the 16+? I dont live in London anymore, but I attend a sixth form in London. I'm also 18 and I made the account but it says i have to be 17 years and 11 month to collect the card. I called TFL helpline but they are all giving me different answers. I need help???
    Im not sure about the age thing as you are definitely eligible as you are 18! Im on the site now and it says clearly that 18 year olds are able to make the account for themselves. If i were you I would start over and make a fresh account and see if it works?

ReputationRep:
    sidnenote: - i think the 18+ oyster card only gives you discounts when you get weekly, monthly or annual travel cards
    if you 'pay as you travel' then you pay the adult rate i believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    sidnenote: - i think the 18+ oyster card only gives you discounts when you get weekly, monthly or annual travel cards
    if you 'pay as you travel' then you pay the adult rate i believe
    Yeah thats right. Unless you have a railcard, you can link them and then you get 30% on off-peak travel. Otherwise its full adult rates or a slight discount on travel cards. I think its a pretty crap deal.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.