Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I can't tell whether I like him - what should I do? watch

I was working part time at a shop over the holidays - a few weeks before I was due to leave, this man came in, ordered something, and asked me loads of questions about myself so I could tell he was interested. After then, I couldn't stop thinking about him and he then came in a week later and took my number. I have been single for a very, very long time and this is the first time in ages I've met someone genuine that I kinda like. At first I liked him a lot and was very curious about him but now - after a few dates - I'm slightly bored of him and, as I'll be moving away to university soon for final year, am not sure if I want to carry this on.

I tried to tell him that I didn't have time for a relationship, but ended up feeling really bad afterwards and missing him. He is the sweetest person and always goes out of his way for me, from day one, which is something I'm not used to with men. This also sounds really silly but we are different castes and I'm aware that there are a number of people in my family that would be hurt if they knew I was seeing him. My mum knows though and she is fine with it, as my dad would be too. I know my grandma would be upset, and I also know others in the family (that don't really like me) would just find it amusing.

He comes from a good family, has a good education, but the whole caste issue is getting to me. Otherwise, we get on great.

What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    Shag him and move on.

bump

bump?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    not sure if I want to carry this on
    So Gareth Bale on his ass (in a sensitive/dignified manner) :girl:

ReputationRep:
    1. lol @ letting family influence/dictate who you date.
    2. his kindness could be better used on someone who isn't so easily bored of him.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by different caste?

Is this a cultural thing I'm unaware of or are you talking about job status/ class?

What degree does he have and what degree are you studying? My mum always says the degree level of the man has to be equal or above yours

(Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    What do you mean by different caste?

Is this a cultural thing I'm unaware of or are you talking about job status/ class?
    Cultural. In terms of job status/ class he is slightly higher up than me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Cultural. In terms of job status/ class he is slightly higher up than me
    I looked up some caste systems but they all seem to be defined by job, is it based on heritage/ ancestry? Can you give me a hint?

Anyway, if your Grandma is the only one who'll care, it doesn't really seem like an issue to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    I looked up some caste systems but they all seem to be defined by job, is it based on heritage/ ancestry? Can you give me a hint?

Anyway, if your Grandma is the only one who'll care, it doesn't really seem like an issue to me.
    It's in Pakistani culture with some people it represents your family background which is silly as most people change their jobs and you shouldn't judge people on that. But some people are hard core about, in Pakistan they've moved on. Nowadays here in England it's pointless.

Anyway OP you only spoke to him twice before giving him your number?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 17, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.