Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

York History: Thinking through histories or language credit

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I'm soon to be a history undergrad at York Uni, and have chosen my modules and options.

However, I want to know is the Thinking Through Histories worth it, or should I opt for a language credit?

Does the TTH credit help with studies in any way at all or is it just self explanatory stuff?

Any advice would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dexterford97)
    I'm soon to be a history undergrad at York Uni, and have chosen my modules and options.

However, I want to know is the Thinking Through Histories worth it, or should I opt for a language credit?

Does the TTH credit help with studies in any way at all or is it just self explanatory stuff?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Are you thinking of studying any obscure foreing language based modules in second or third year? That might give you some incentive to do a LFA module in your first year. Plus you get another free year in second year extra-curricularly speaking. You could be quite adept at a language of your choice by the end of year 2 if you work hard. Could be very rewarding! Likewise, you might enjoy the History based module more.

I'm studying Chinese this year as an extra-curricular activity above and beyond my HIstory/ Philosophy degree at York. It all depends on whether you want to try something different or are happy to do an intensive and focussed History degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    Are you thinking of studying any obscure foreing language based modules in second or third year? That might give you some incentive to do a LFA module in your first year. Plus you get another free year in second year extra-curricularly speaking. You could be quite adept at a language of your choice by the end of year 2 if you work hard. Could be very rewarding! Likewise, you might enjoy the History based module more.

I'm studying Chinese this year as an extra-curricular activity above and beyond my HIstory/ Philosophy degree at York. It all depends on whether you want to try something different or are happy to do an intensive and focussed History degree.

I think the LFA would be the better option not only because it is more generally applicable to a career outside of history, but because it may provide nice variety to the degree. Doing straight history, I think I'd go a little insane should I thoroughly focus on history.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.