Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going tomorrow morning.

I don't think I chose my insurance choice well and now I'm stuck with it. I don't really want to do my chosen course anymore and I'm worried I won't like it. My accommodation is really bad. All the Freshers parties are now sold out and I didn't buy any tickets because I didn't think I'd be going. Although I didn't get into my firm choice, my grades are higher than the standard offer for the course I'm doing so I feel like I'm not at the right university. I've been crying a lot and having panic attacks. I want to just pull out now before my student loan goes through, but I don't know what else I'd do after that.

More importantly, I'm not excited to go or even nervous. I just don't want to go and probably won't participate in anything. All I can see happening is that the 'best three years of my life' end up pretty sh*t.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    You still have many options available to you! I myself, took an engineering apprenticeship and took that route. Have you tried looking at websites such as www.notgoingtouni.co.uk? They have so much on offer there for young people in exactly your position!

You could always take a year out to work, re-assess, and perhaps look at different universities.

I actually work in recruitment marketing for the student room so if you have any questions for me, I'd love to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kanade Tachibana)
    I'm going tomorrow morning.

I don't think I chose my insurance choice well and now I'm stuck with it. I don't really want to do my chosen course anymore and I'm worried I won't like it. My accommodation is really bad. All the Freshers parties are now sold out and I didn't buy any tickets because I didn't think I'd be going. Although I didn't get into my firm choice, my grades are higher than the standard offer for the course I'm doing so I feel like I'm not at the right university. I've been crying a lot and having panic attacks. I want to just pull out now before my student loan goes through, but I don't know what else I'd do after that.

More importantly, I'm not excited to go or even nervous. I just don't want to go and probably won't participate in anything. All I can see happening is that the 'best three years of my life' end up pretty sh*t.
    honestly I think you should go there for a week and if its that bad you can just leave but you will only know whether you hate in when you've been there .

ReputationRep:
    Aww I feel you Kanade! What course are you going to do? What has made you change your mind about it?

Only you will know whether University is really worth it for you or not, but I agree with the poster above that it would be a good idea to go and try it... If you didn't try you might regret it.

I started Uni this time last year and felt the same as you in a lot of ways (accommodation problems, lack of social activity, not liking the Uni...). I spoke to a student union advisor and they told me there is a grace period where you can leave before you pay any course fees. For me, I started to enjoy Uni once my course actually started so I decided to stay but you could at least try this way and then if you don't like it you could switch University or take a year out and think about what you actually want.

Another thing... Think about why you are going to Uni and what you want from the experience... The freshers parties are generally not that great and if you live in halls you will be able to take part in other events happening around your campus plus flat parties so don't worry about not having tickets to the events. Also, if you decide to carry out the first year and then change your mind, you could switch Uni provided you get a 2:1 and can find another course that will accept you.

Sha x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shashasheesh)
    Aww I feel you Kanade! What course are you going to do? What has made you change your mind about it?

Only you will know whether University is really worth it for you or not, but I agree with the poster above that it would be a good idea to go and try it... If you didn't try you might regret it.

I started Uni this time last year and felt the same as you in a lot of ways (accommodation problems, lack of social activity, not liking the Uni...). I spoke to a student union advisor and they told me there is a grace period where you can leave before you pay any course fees. For me, I started to enjoy Uni once my course actually started so I decided to stay but you could at least try this way and then if you don't like it you could switch University or take a year out and think about what you actually want.

Another thing... Think about why you are going to Uni and what you want from the experience... The freshers parties are generally not that great and if you live in halls you will be able to take part in other events happening around your campus plus flat parties so don't worry about not having tickets to the events. Also, if you decide to carry out the first year and then change your mind, you could switch Uni provided you get a 2:1 and can find another course that will accept you.

Sha x
    Thanks, this was really helpful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.