What are my best options for uni choices?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically at AS I have recently received the grades BBC(I know these are not groundbreaking) in English lit,history and psychology.All my subjects this year have been linear,so the grade I received last year won't contribute towards my final grade but I'll still need to declare them. I've asked my teachers and managed to get my predictions up to ABB with the possibility of AAB because all grade boundaries were missed between 1-4 marks. I want to do English literature and have literally no clue where to apply,my ideal uni would've Been a big city uni like Manchester but obviously now that seems unlikely,any help is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Exeter? From what I've read, they ask for AAA/ABB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K8grxver)
    Basically at AS I have recently received the grades BBC(I know these are not groundbreaking) in English lit,history and psychology.All my subjects this year have been linear,so the grade I received last year won't contribute towards my final grade but I'll still need to declare them. I've asked my teachers and managed to get my predictions up to ABB with the possibility of AAB because all grade boundaries were missed between 1-4 marks. I want to do English literature and have literally no clue where to apply,my ideal uni would've Been a big city uni like Manchester but obviously now that seems unlikely,any help is appreciated
    I wouldn't say that 'big city' uni's are out of the question, I got BBC at AS too and got offers from Manchester and Birmingham for English Lang. I'm not sure where's good for literature but if you have teachers who are willing to vouch you'll put the work in to get AAB, you should apply to anywhere you already have an interest in and not limit yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K8grxver)
    I want to do English literature and have literally no clue where to apply,my ideal uni would've Been a big city uni like Manchester but obviously now that seems unlikely,any help is appreciated
    I can't suggest specific places to you and to an extent you just have to do some research on your own—look up different places and find out what their usual offers/entry requirements are. A certain amount of slightly dull legwork is necessary. It's not entirely the case that all universities based in big cities have highly demanding entry requirements, so go and have a look at what's out there.

(I can suggest some extra criteria to use to make your decisions, too: have a think about some other questions. Do you prefer being assessed by exams or by coursework? Would you prefer a course which gave you less control over what you studied but guaranteed you a more comprehensive view of English literature, or a course which let you pick and choose more specific topics but might give you a narrower experience? Most city universties are more spread out geographically than universities in towns or the countryside, but their distribution varies—would you be happy at a place which is completely distributed across a city or are you looking for an institution with a bit more of a 'university quarter' feel to it, with a defined campus within a city? And so on. If you have answers to these kinds of questions you can use those answers to assess and sort through the possible places you could apply to.)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.