?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Anyone been in this situation?
sequence123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I assume there was some kind of application process before they offered you a job?

If they didn't think you were capable they wouldn't have offered you the job.
ma2k5
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just because its good pay doesn't mean its a hard job - most jobs arnt. Someone doing minimum wage can definatly be having really hard work while a millionaire is just counting money.
mrmud
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Grades aren't everything! They obvioulsy like the look of you so go for it and stop putting yourself down
randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Go for it, even if it doesn't work out, at least it's some experience under your belt!
bornfishy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I really wouldn't waste any time worrying about that! Concentrate on doing the job to the best of your abilities.

I went from £4.75 an hour to £27k a year without any uni experience at all, in one jump. And I was only 19, so I didn't even have much life experience, and was fairly immature, I suppose.

Good luck.
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by bornfishy)
I really wouldn't waste any time worrying about that! Concentrate on doing the job to the best of your abilities.

I went from £4.75 an hour to £27k a year without any uni experience at all, in one jump. And I was only 19, so I didn't even have much life experience, and was fairly immature, I suppose.

Good luck.
inevitably (someone like me) will HAVE to ask how that happened?
HealthyBrainHealthyBody
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
I'd have to ask that too! 27k is not that much for a grad but with no degree, straight after A levels... that sounds like a deal that would be really difficult to land yourself. I think you'd already be one of the luckiest people ever just to get 20k if it's in a biggish company. But 27k...

OP, I wouldn't worry about your aptitudes. I'm a lot like you as in, I've turned down so many job offers, one of the reasons being that I didn't believe I'd cut it. Once you're in the job, you realise that most of your preconcieved ideas were wrong.

20k+ salaries are so bog standard that you'll find complete ******s getting those salaries sitting on their arse all day doing nothing, and not being expected to do anything.
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I wouldn't worry about it... It's not like some £100k thing with £1million bonuses left right and centre, where you really have to perform. £20k is a very average wage these days for a graduate. I'm sure you'll be trained anyway.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Dionysus)
I wouldn't worry about it... It's not like some £100k thing with £1million bonuses left right and centre, where you really have to perform. £20k is a very average wage these days for a graduate. I'm sure you'll be trained anyway.
Sadly, salary and the expectations of employers and difficulty of work involved don't scale like that.
bornfishy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Meh, the job is pants. Just pays relatively well. You really wouldn't want to go for it. I've applied for a lower paid job, by some margin, so that says it all. I'm only here because I failed the training to do something better, though related, that paid better.

Or, if I could actually get my head together, I'd be starting my own business, since I'll never be in this financial / personal position again, and now is the time.

27k isn't great for a graduate after a few years, but looking about, it seems there are precious few jobs offering high 20's / low 30's for graduates straight outta the gates. There are a few, though.

I just couldn't handle the lack of discipline of university, and it sorta bored me. That said, I've always been a "worker", if you know what I mean. I only studied when I really needed to - A-levels, GCSE's, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (261)
26.69%
No (717)
73.31%

Watched Threads