Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Government and Politics a level experiences, advice and tips! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just exchanged one of my subjects for this a level subject as i am genuinely interested in politics. Do you have any advice and tips based on your experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rajive)
    Just exchanged one of my subjects for this a level subject as i am genuinely interested in politics. Do you have any advice and tips based on your experience?
    Keep up to date on the news and for revision make sure you practice answering the questions and the timing of each question type as the grade boundaries are so close. Also they tend to repeat questions every couple of years just wording it slightly differently. Use lots of examples in answers and stuff as well. I'm currently doing the A2 after taking the AS in the summer

ReputationRep:
    Amazing subject and ive only done it for two weeks. You need to keep up with the news.

ReputationRep:
    Keep really up to date with the news and ensure you have current examples to support your point. Beyond that just ensure you do good exam technique practice and you'll be fine.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Keep up to date with the news. Past papers and essay plans should be your new best friends for the next two years. Have a collection of real life examples to use to back up points made in essays.

All in all, enjoy it. Found it to be my easiest and best A Level. I'm now studying Politics at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilyJ1215)
    Keep really up to date with the news and ensure you have current examples to support your point. Beyond that just ensure you do good exam technique practice and you'll be fine.
    Are all essays in PEEl structure?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Are all essays in PEEl structure?
    You want three examples for every point you make. So make the point then add examples in while you explain your point. Name:  IMG_7598.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  355.1 KB
    For the 5 markers you only need one paragraph. No intro or conclusion
    For the 10markers you need three paragraphs. No intro or conclusion.
    For the 25 markers you need 6 paragraphs. 3 for and 3 against if it's a discussion or argument question. You also need an intro and conclusion
    The same applies for a 40marker but you need 8 paragraphs and intro and conclusion. You can get marks for planning answers so always plan so if you run out of time you don't lose too many marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pugglet)
    You want three examples for every point you make. So make the point then add examples in while you explain your point. Name:  IMG_7598.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  355.1 KB
    For the 5 markers you only need one paragraph. No intro or conclusion
    For the 10markers you need three paragraphs. No intro or conclusion.
    For the 25 markers you need 6 paragraphs. 3 for and 3 against if it's a discussion or argument question. You also need an intro and conclusion
    The same applies for a 40marker but you need 8 paragraphs and intro and conclusion. You can get marks for planning answers so always plan so if you run out of time you don't lose too many marks
    What exam board is that?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the board I'm with so I'm assuming Edexcel?

ReputationRep:
    I've realised most the kids doing it this year only care for 'pop politics' none have a genuine enthusiasm for the political science, ideogloes, history and philosophy. Although they're not essential they do make the course more enjoyable since you'll care about the content. Party politics was probably my favourite, it's been a hot topic recently as well so you'll get the 'pop politics' but also the ideologies and history. Probably the most useful topic.

ReputationRep:
    What exam board is that?
    Edexcel

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.