Does everyone get panic attacks? Watch

Music_Enthusiast
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I had one in April. Left my feeling anxious and tired and with a tension headache for... months. Had to cut out caffeine and alcohol from my diet because any change in conciousness gave me feelings of "oh no, its happening again".
blot
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I had one in the back of an ambulance during a bad trip. I thought i was choking to death and breathed so heavily i hyperventilated and nearly passed out.
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No, not everyone gets panic attacks. From what you've said about your aunt before she says a lot of things which are "debatable".

I have panic attacks, but only when i'm in hospital. Unfortunetely i'm in hospital quite a lot, which doesn't help. I am much better at dealing with them now. I will never belittle someone having a panic attack like so many doctors i've seen. People being calm and supportive around you can make such a difference.
kidintheriot
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think I've had a very mild one where I got completely overwhelmed, headache, hard to breathe, tight feeling in my chest etc. It was horrible and I was all shaky afterwards but definitely not as bad as some of you guys.
LoveMusic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I have panic disorder, so i have general anxiety with panic attacks.

However, throughout their lives at stressful points people experience panic attacks - like exams, weddings, relationship problems.
Artemidoros.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They are terrifying, normally leave me dizzy, breathless and paralysed. I don't think everyone gets them, though people that don't get them don't seem to understand how severe and traumatic they actually are!
Nudlz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i panic over things but it never gets to that stage were it wont stop, my mums had loads she says she gets all hot and panic breaks over and she just needs to getout of whatever shes doing
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Supposedly everyone is supposed to suffer from depression or panic attacks before they reach 40 but that's not always the case.

I get them though. They're nasty. The worst one I had was in my A2 Media exam which meant I had to pull out because I just couldn't recover.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Everyone panics sometimes. Don't know how that compares to an "attack"
beach surf babe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Maybe she meant that everyone could get them...but not everyone does...
magic_unicorn
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I used to get them quite alot, but I'm dealing better with stress nowdays so they are reducing.
I think it depends on the type of person you are and the circumstances you face, I'd think it might happen to every one once in there lives sometime, but again it depends!
DressMeDeadly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by magic_unicorn)
I used to get them quite alot, but I'm dealing better with stress nowdays so they are reducing.
I think it depends on the type of person you are and the circumstances you face, I'd think it might happen to every one once in there lives sometime, but again it depends!
I think you're completely right, i get panic attacks alot but only at really stressful times like when i was doing my GCSE's and more recently my AS's. But I'm not somebody who has ever been that good at dealing with stress and even if i dont have a full blown panic attack i still panic at the slightest thing. So i think it could well be down to your personality type and how you percieve situations more than anything. Plus i think everybody does have the capability to have a panic attack, some people can just supress it or stop it as they are more able to cope with something stressful.
campbell87
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I have had some really bad panic attacks over the last few years, usually at night when Im thinking too much about things, I find it hard to breathe, I get sweaty and hot and cry, it can take me a long time to calm down afterwards and get over it. I have a few little ones most days but normally a big one at least once a month
HearTheThunder
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No.
aeiou81
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't think I've ever had one, but my friend gets at least one per month. She had one the other day at Sports Day - quite scary really.

I wouldn't say that everybody has them, but I'm sure many people do. I think generally everybody feels out of control or over-stressed at some point in their life, even if they don't react by fainting/hysterical crying etc.
*Stargirl*
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't know...but sometimes my throat tightens up and I find it very difficult to breath for about 30 seconds....although i'm not really that stressed out when this happens!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (193)
18.68%
No (626)
60.6%
Not really bothered about them (214)
20.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed