How to get a 9 in new maths gcse

Announcements

How do I get a 9 in the new maths GCSE in 2017? Also, could someone please give me a list of the new topics in the new syllabus? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    you need score in the top 5% of the country and as for the topics go here
    https://www.mathswatchvle.com/ and click higher or foundation and then topic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannie.12)
    How do I get a 9 in the new maths GCSE in 2017? Also, could someone please give me a list of the new topics in the new syllabus? Thanks
    The grade boundaries will be set after the papers are marked and the results are analysed. Nobody knows what they will be but the 9 is expected to be awarded to roughly 3 or 4% of candidates.

http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/gcse.html is a good site for free revision material. The new topics are to be found at level 7-9.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You need to be in the upper 4% of candidates.

Bluntly, we don't know how many marks will be required, it depends on how people cope with the new papers.

ReputationRep:
    You're dreaming. A 9 is equivalent to an A**. You should focus on a 7/8, as I doubt that a 9 would be likely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aklaol)
    You're dreaming. A 9 is equivalent to an A**. You should focus on a 7/8, as I doubt that a 9 would be likely.
    You say that without having seen the OP's mathematical ability? As per one of their previous threads, they got an A* on the old spec, so a 9 is pretty possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    You say that without having seen the OP's mathematical ability? As per one of their previous threads, they got an A* on the old spec, so a 9 is pretty possible.
    I'd advise you to think carefully before making such a ignorant comment. Go and learn the depths of the new 9-1 system, and the content involved. A 9 is almost impossible, an A* in normal GCSE was brainless and easy.

I'd advise you to think carefully before making such a ignorant comment. Go and learn the depths of the new 9-1 system, and the content involved. A 9 is almost impossible, an A* in normal GCSE was brainless and easy.
    So you think I should lower my goal? D you think it will be impossible for me to achieve a 9?

ReputationRep:
    So you think I should lower my goal? D you think it will be impossible for me to achieve a 9?
    I want to be honest with you. Sadly a lot of members on TSR are ignorant when it comes to the new 9-1 system. A 9 is very, very unlikely to get. Even my friend who got an A* in IGCSE Maths, an A* in L2 Further Maths, and an A in FMSQ said that he wouldn't be able to get a 9. A 9 is honestly a ridiculous grade, I'd definitely say aim for an 8. You may have a very slim chance to get a 9, but don't be disappointed if it's not possible.

ReputationRep:
    No! Aim for as high as possible. Yes it is very difficult, but me, an AS Mathematics student would probably be able to achieve a 9 at GCSE, it just depends how much you know.

(Original post by liquidconfidence)
    No! Aim for as high as possible. Yes it is very difficult, but me, an AS Mathematics student would probably be able to achieve a 9 at GCSE, it just depends how much you know.
    Do you have any revision resources in mind you could share with me pls?

ReputationRep:
    whats a 9, is that equiv to a* or an E

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any revision resources in mind you could share with me pls?
    OP, you can aim for a 9, but I'm literally going to be the only one here who is going to give you facts about the new spec. Everyone else here thinks that a 9 is like an A* at GCSE. A* at GCSE was extremely easy to obtain, unlike a 9. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Light Venom)
    A**

ReputationRep:
    Equiv to a high A* (or as people like to call it A**).

ReputationRep:
    OP, you can aim for a 9, but I'm literally going to be the only one here who is going to give you facts about the new spec. Everyone else here thinks that a 9 is like an A* at GCSE. A* at GCSE was extremely easy to obtain, unlike a 9. Good luck.
    A 9 is seriously not that hard, its probably going to be around the 92% mark

ReputationRep:
    Equiv to a high A* (or as people like to call it A**).
    I got 200/200 in my maths gcse and that was an a*, i shoulda got a** for full marks. GRRRRRRR. 9 seem a low number, 1 should be a********.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrIso)
    A 9 is seriously not that hard, its probably going to be around the 92% mark
    I'd love to see you get one. It's not the fact that it's around the 92% mark, it's the fact that the new spec is far harder also.

ReputationRep:
    I got 200/200 in my maths gcse and that was an a*, i shoulda got a** for full marks. GRRRRRRR. 9 seem a low number, 1 should be a********.
    Maths GCSE was extremely easy compared to the new 9-1 spec.

Edit: Exam questions taken out from the FOUNDATION tier 9-1 spec.
    http://www.mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/maths...-samples-a.pdf

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to see you get one. It's not the fact that it's around the 92% mark, it's the fact that the new spec is far harder also.
    You can watch this space come results day, and i,ve already completed the spec, it wasn't as hard as its made to seem

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 4, 2017
TSR Support Team
Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.