Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I inhaled something in chemistry.. help.. watch

Announcements
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    7
    ReputationRep:
    Hi, i put silver nitrate, NaOH and conc ammonia in a test tube. When i added the aldehyde (ethanal) gas/vapour was released and i inhaled it. At first my throat went tight and i couldn't breath, but since then that has reduced. I Didn't tell my teacher since i felt better after a bit, but now im scared incase the vapours were toxic.

    Does anybody know what i should do, or if it is harmless?
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    Write down the equation for the reaction (3 marks)

    Write the name of the product you inhaled (1 mark)
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    7
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Write down the equation for the reaction (3 marks)

    Write the name of the product you inhaled (1 mark)
    V.funny

    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Actually writing the equation could help, as you'll find out what gas the reaction gave off. Google the name of the gas, see if it's poisonous or anything.
    • TSR Support Team
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I am not a chemist but I don't think it's particularly likely that you could have inhaled in a dangerous amount in a school experiment unless you were intentionally trying to. Going off the safety information, it's an irritant but the vapour you produced was probably not very concentrated and assuming you were not deliberately trying to inhale stuff, I think you're fine. I am not a chemist though so take that with a pinch of salt, if you start to feel unwell then obviously go to a doctor and regardless, tell your teacher. Again, I don't think it's likely that it's dangerous but your teacher will be able to confirm that.
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    A class in my school had the wrong chemicals set out by the technicians, and produced sulfur dioxide, which is toxic. They all had to be evacuated from the lab.

    Tbh, I think considering it was a class practical, and as long as there was no mix up or anything, you'd be fine as you wouldn't be allowed to do such dangerous practicals. But next time tell your teacher! Maybe this time, too, if you're worried. :hoppy:
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    7
    ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone

    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    we were burning mgcl2 in class and i accidentally breathed near the tube and my nose STUNG but I'm fine now

    wait was it chlorine gas?
 
 
 
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.