Foot And Mouth Back In the UK.... Watch

the sand man
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
there is now more out bracks of foot and mouth wich are now currently being testing
Minardi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6931639.stm

The strain is one not normally found in animals and is linked to vaccines.
:rofl: This has the governments thumbprints all over it. (I shouldn't laugh, but it did amuse me). Lets just hope that means that down south is where it stays!
tehjonny
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I really hope they can isolate and innoculate, rather than slaughter the animals. I imagine it depends on the severity of the outbreak?
Minardi
Rep:
?
Innoculation would require slaughter eventually, if I've read the old MAFF Panphlet right, due to them effectively being "infected". It just stops the spread of the wild strain (I'm open to correction on that, though)
randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The saddest thing is, (I read) that the animals recover naturally after a couple of weeks. But they are still killed due to risk of spreading the disease.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Minardi)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6931639.stm

:rofl: This has the governments thumbprints all over it. (I shouldn't laugh, but it did amuse me). Lets just hope that means that down south is where it stays!
Are you implying that the government was behind the actual foot and mouth infection?
Olyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RK89)
Are you implying that the government was behind the actual foot and mouth infection?
Obviously not on purpose, but the strand is found in the vaccines, so maybe their giving the animals too much in the vaccine so that the virus can takeover the animal, rather than the animal take over the virus, therefore becoming immune
Sounds like a cockup, not a conspiracy theory =P

The vaccine is also being made (or at least used, i cant remember what the article said) at the Institute for animal health, just three miles away from where the infected animals are. Maybe it leaked from there (not literally, but it may have spread, somehow)
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Olyy)
Obviously not on purpose, but the strand is found in the vaccines, so maybe their giving the animals too much in the vaccine so that the virus can takeover the animal, rather than the animal take over the virus, therefore becoming immune
Sounds like a cockup, not a conspiracy theory =P

The vaccine is also being made (or at least used, i cant remember what the article said) at the Institute for animal health, just three miles away from where the infected animals are. Maybe it leaked from there (not literally, but it may have spread, somehow)
Its way more likely then that something slipped through customs, or there are some unscruplous farmers out there. Last time i seem to remember farmers delibrately infect their livestock to make more money.
Minardi
Rep:
?
(Original post by RK89)
Its way more likely then that something slipped through customs, or there are some unscruplous farmers out there. Last time i seem to remember farmers delibrately infect their livestock to make more money.
They weren't deliberately infected, but you could have them slaughtered and get full compensation payments if their welfare was at risk (and by all accounts, the MAFF didn't take much convincing, and the money was good - same as for those infected).

The strain of virus is one not found in the wild normally, and only in perbright. Its got to be a bio leak I would think, but I may be wrong. Thats where my money is anyway now.
Minardi
Rep:
?
New cull inside the 3km zone. Not what I wanted to hear... unsure if it is the disease, further tests are being carried out.

Joy.
kookabura
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It has been confirmed that the second cull was FMD, here .

There are still 'investigating' if it may have leaked from Pirbright.
Minardi
Rep:
?
According to an "insider" on the report, speaking on BBC 5 Live, it was from Merial, and it was human based transportation. That could be wrong though, as the "source" said.

We'll see.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (16)
94.12%
No (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads