Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I am starting programming with Java and Python and I was wondering what maybe a good OS to compliment them?
    I can go either W10 or Linux, I have experience with both.

What would you suggest? I plan to use InteliJ on Linux and Windows and Pycharm on Linux and VS python on Windows dependant on choice

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XDroidie626)
    So I am starting programming with Java and Python and I was wondering what maybe a good OS to compliment them?
    I can go either W10 or Linux, I have experience with both.

What would you suggest? I plan to use InteliJ on Linux and Windows and Pycharm on Linux and VS python on Windows dependant on choice

Thanks
    I would suggest Windows 10, but maybe that's because I'm being biased because I only ever use Windows. :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really matter. Pick whatever you find the most comfortable to use.

Personally, I want to go full Linux now. But I can't because I have other projects that can only be done on a Windows PC.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Why do you have to pick? Dual boot your machine so you can have both. Stick all your code in the cloud and access it on whichever machine needs it. Sometimes you'll want to program on Windows and sometimes you'll want to program on Linux. Don't lock yourself out of one or the other, especially if code you write may need to run on both platforms. They both have benefits and drawbacks so getting to know both is a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest virtual machines before dual booting with Windows as a main OS(because I play games on the computer).

Whatever OS you pick should be ok for both Java and Python. In the longer term you'll probably need windows or a Mac to run visual studio and programs like it if you're doing a code heavy course.

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty it doesn't matter too much, both are high-level languages and require no interaction in the sense of compiling. Choose OS you feel most comfortable with.

ReputationRep:
    As mentioned above, it's not really significant, both have very good tools on each platform and both use an interpreter (Java compiles to bytecode which is interpreted by the JVM giving it platform independence)

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't really matter here but in general I've found I need windows when developing because my university tries to get us all to use visual studio were possible. If you're not using that then Linux is fine for most things. Netbeans works on it for example.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.