The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

RK89
So far it seems good, they have taken it very seriously. Hopefully they will have learnt from past mistakes. And we have a new leader, who i think would do all he can to make sure that the cock up doesnt spread any further.

Oh dear. I don't think you know much about DEFRA do you?! And if you really think farmers are just "whining" about not being able to afford to vaccinate their animals, I don't think you know very much about farming, either...

It means I probably won't be able to do my pig placement this September which is annoying and it also means seeing lots of upsetting images on the news again, plus the inevitable impact upon agriculture in this country which always seems to happen whenever anything goes wrong with livestock, regardless of the actual risk. The farmers suffer because of Joe Public's ignorance. Incidentally my sister said today, "I've just realised we haven't heard anything about birdflu in ages, have we?" This after having a meltdown a few months ago when there was a media flurry because she was convinced our cats were going to catch it and die :rolleyes: My own family...and we don't even read the Mail!!

Edit:

Profesh
Why, my Lord, that's positively ingenious! Would you like me to cull some farm-labourers for the celebratory meal? (Only, we seem to have incurred a sudden dearth of livestock.)

Really wish I could rep you again.
Reply 41
Jennybean

It means I probably won't be able to do my pig placement this September

I think I'm going to put off my placements also. If they're stopping movement of livestock then I suppose they'll be restricting visitors too. Have they started putting out disinfectant at the entrance to farms yet?
Shockley
I think I'm going to put off my placements also. If they're stopping movement of livestock then I suppose they'll be restricting visitors too. Have they started putting out disinfectant at the entrance to farms yet?

I'm not actually sure as at the minute I'm on an equine placement and obviously norsies can't get FMD. It was a right pain with the last outbreak because I had stuck my neigh into a stables for a couple of weeks' livery while I went on holiday and when I came back the transportation of all livestock was banned and he was stuck there!! He was thoroughly miserable and it cost me a bloody fortune to keep him there til the ban was lifted. Also when I finally did bring him home there were bans on riding on the Forest for a while afterwards so I had to content myself with plodding along tarmacced roads for ages with impatient drivers yelling at me. I'm really hoping this will all have cleared up before September as I'm really looking forward to piggies, college have basically suspended all farming placements unless individual farmers don't mind, so you could always ask the people you're doing your placements with?
Reply 43
Its funny, a vaccine meant to prevent the disease has actually caused it to get out.
I think stopping movement of animals from farms in restriction areas and disinfecting visitors is the ideal situation, i dont get people who are complaining about not being able to get on farms and do placements etc your just enabling the disease to get out if you do, think about the animals! we dont want to see any more dead carcases on tv.
I dont think this situation will last long (hopefully), think we have learnt lessons, ecspecially as the virus was detected quite early.
I think what should be considered now is the closeness between centres that are using live strains of the foot and mouth disease and farms.
outsidein
i dont get people who are complaining about not being able to get on farms and do placements etc your just enabling the disease to get out if you do, think about the animals! we dont want to see any more dead carcases on tv.

Who don't want to see any more "dead carcases" on tv? Vets and vet students by any chance?! I only complain because it was entirely preventable and it means I'll have to do the placement next summer. I think if it was your holidays getting eaten into, you'd complain and all. In cancelling my placement I'm doing nothing but thinking about the animals :rolleyes:
Reply 45
Jennybean
Who don't want to see any more "dead carcases" on tv? Vets and vet students by any chance?! I only complain because it was entirely preventable and it means I'll have to do the placement next summer. I think if it was your holidays getting eaten into, you'd complain and all. In cancelling my placement I'm doing nothing but thinking about the animals :rolleyes:

no one wants to see dead animals on tv, think i answered tht question earlier :rolleyes: i'm glad your thinking about the animals, because while your being "annoyed" at your holidays being eaten into, quite a few are dying aren't they.
I don't agree with the ethics behind the cullings, but why take these risks producing a vaccine if there's no chance of it getting used anyway?
i have nothing to say on the matter
*puts foot in mouth*
Reply 48
Profesh
Oh.

Prose-poetry at its finest.

lol

well, i like to bullit point things..and list...because its easier to read..sorry

Latest

Trending

Trending