Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, going to apply to uni soon, and I've always been stuck between science/psychology but I've decided to go with psychology and maybe go into clinical....
    just to fill you in, my teacher was telling me that I might be at disadvantage purely because of my race (I am mixed race, british and black), he was not being racist or anything, he was just giving me an honest insight and said I should "consider" my choices before I start the ucas process.
    anyone shed some light on this, would it affect my employment prospects, or becoming successful in clinical psychology. anyone with educated insights and information will be greatly appreciated.
    thx-
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well that is a racist attitude...

Firstly, when you apply to university through UCAS unis won't be able to see your race so you're fine there. Some unis interview.

However.. this really shouldn't affect your chances. There is some data (in psychology ironically) that shows from some ethnic minorities are disadvantaged in job applications and earn less. But I would argue this attitude is changing and it really shouldn't affect your choices in your uni course or career.

Moreover, I think psychology would be particularly forgiving as people are more aware of this bias which is more than not, based on opinions not facts about races.*

ReputationRep:
    Ask him what he meant. Is he claiming the world of clinical psychology is inherently racist? That would be a very bizarre and unwise view to be making publicly.

ReputationRep:
    I believe what your teacher was referring to is the disproportionately low representation of black and asian clinical psychologists in the UK. The BPS has acknowledged the low percentage of BME applicants that gain a place on the clinical psychology PhD and are saying and doing all the right things in terms of investigating and redressing this.

Only time will tell what happens. Watch this space I guess! There are other professional psychologist options, for example, the counselling psychologist doctorate seems a little less discriminatory in terms of BME representation.

To be honest this motivates me more towards gaining a first and challenging not gaining a post graduate PhD placement if that turns out to be the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CCC75)
    I believe what your teacher was referring to is the disproportionately low representation of black and asian clinical psychologists in the UK. The BPS has acknowledged the low percentage of BME applicants that gain a place on the clinical psychology PhD and are saying and doing all the right things in terms of investigating and redressing this.

Only time will tell what happens. Watch this space I guess! There are other professional psychologist options, for example, the counselling psychologist doctorate seems a little less discriminatory in terms of BME representation.

To be honest this motivates me more towards gaining a first and challenging not gaining a post graduate PhD placement if that turns out to be the case.
    Yes that was basically what he was saying. Thankyou for your support and answer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.