Medicine/Dentistry Alternatives Help

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I will get a prediction of AAA on A-levels but I think the results will be AAB so I want to apply for less competitive branches of medicine and science fields. I've seen courses for optometry, oral health sciences and such but I am very confused with a lot of questions.

First of all, does anyone have any suggestions? I know you guys don't know what I'd like to do exactly but I'm open to different types of courses that I might have overlooked.

How is a dental hygienist/therapist different from a dentist?

What about optometry? What are other courses related to the eye?

Diagnostic Radiography, Radiotherapy, Physiotherapy, these are cool too and I kind of want to do a mix of these when applying, but I'm scared that my personal statement will be a mess.

I'm desperate at this point and need help, please. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I'd say if you really want to do medicine you might aswell try, there are med-schools that will over look slightly lower grades in lieu of a great personal statement like St George's.
    Have you considered doing a biomed/ biochem Bsc or Msc, there a great way to get into higher level jobs in the medical field, or you can apply for medicine postgrad if you get an amazing ukcat/gamsat.
    I don't really know much about the other courses but AAA or AAB are certainly good enough to get you onto a good course in a nice place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowkey-loki)
    Firstly I'd say if you really want to do medicine you might aswell try, there are med-schools that will over look slightly lower grades in lieu of a great personal statement like St George's.
    Have you considered doing a biomed/ biochem Bsc or Msc, there a great way to get into higher level jobs in the medical field, or you can apply for medicine postgrad if you get an amazing ukcat/gamsat.
    I don't really know much about the other courses but AAA or AAB are certainly good enough to get you onto a good course in a nice place.
    The problem is, I definitely want to also apply for Software Engineering because it is another passion of mine and my personal statement will be a mess. So I don't think it will be strong enough for unis who look for that.

I'll look into biomed/biochem. Thank you so much for your help.

ReputationRep:
    You will not be able to write a personal statement that covers a mix of healthcare professions and software engineering. They're just too different. I don't know about software engineering, but healthcare courses look for evidence of your commitment to the chosen profession, and if they get the feeling that you're applying for anything and everything you're very unlikely to get a place.

Here are some questions that might help you decide. Do you want a job where you would have a lot of face-to-face contact with patients, or would you prefer to be based in a lab? Would you be happy with seeing lots of one-off patients, or would you want to get involved with their care and follow their progress over time? Is there a healthcare specialty or something particular about bodies and illness that really interests you, no matter how random it might seem? (For example, a friend's girlfriend was interested in how blood works. This took her into biomedical science, and eventually to the National Blood Service.) If grades were no object, what would your choice be?

If you're still not sure what you want to do, I'd take a gap year and look for a relevant job (healthcare assistant, rehabilitation support worker, etc.) that will give you a flavour of the healthcare field and hopefully bring you into contact with different professionals so that you can make a more informed choice. There's no rush. By then you'll have your grades too so you will know which courses you're eligible for.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.